Could melted ai prime lens harm corals?

20gallonreefer000

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2024
Messages
226
Reaction score
183
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the light for around a year. I run it at 100%, 12 hours a day so it gets pretty hot. The lens has melted a good portion. The tank is over 2 years old and has been decently stable with no major coral die off. Within the past few months I've noticed acros aren't doing too well(bleaching/losing colour) and coral growth has halted. My parameters are all where I normally keep them and I haven't changed anything major. Does anyone have any negative experiences with a melted lens and coral die off? Thanks.
 
Agree with changing the lens. If it is the only thing that is different, yet corals are behaving differently, it's reasonable to suspect lens distortion is somehow having an impact.

Of course it's also reasonable that "haven't changed anything major" isn't major to you, but might be to your coral.
 
Bleaching/ death is probably due to the lens yes. Either via no lens to assist with light direction, or just the plastic melting and being a toxic substance within the tank (if you have an open top)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new