Could phyto dosing be the source of my nuisance algae?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to figure out the source of my nuisance algae issues (GHA and bubble Algae) which started back in Sept 2022. Prior to this time, the tank had been up and running for a little over 21 months with no issues or ugly phases. For a good portion of this time the tank was running as an ULNS. As I increased biodiversity and such, the tank has mostly settled in at around <1 ppm NO3 and <0.05 PO4 with occasional too low or above these nutruent targets that required some adjustments. The bubble algae was taken care of by using Emerald Crabs, but I have not been able to eliminate the GHA despite my best attempts that included manual removal, refreshing and augmenting my cleanup crew (snails, crabs, urchins, etc...). Now to be fair, the GHA isn't taking over the tank or anything, but present enough that I would like it gone.

The other day, I measured my PO4 and NO3 right after feeding and dosing phytoplankton (50ml every other day). The results were over 10x my normal 0.03ish readings. The next morning the PO4 was back to normal.

Having started phytoplankton dosing in Jan 22, I'm wondering if this my be fueling the GHA.

Thoughts?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing live phyto even though it was a small amount daily. Algae amount has improved. Now I use powdered phyto from Nyos for filter feeders. Seems to be working. Also added an Oxidator.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is the worst.
OP, I have the same problem after my battle with Dino.
I have tried phyto and stopped.
No difference.
I have tried reef actif from tropic marin which did help some, not a lot.
I am now just feeding more. Trying to get more ammonium to the coral which they prefer and algae can't use. This so far is also helping a little. Some tuffs are going away.
I feel this is a long battle.
I did also order blueline reef flux yesterday. I plan to try a micro dose and see what happens.

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to figure out the source of my nuisance algae issues (GHA and bubble Algae) which started back in Sept 2022. Prior to this time, the tank had been up and running for a little over 21 months with no issues or ugly phases. For a good portion of this time the tank was running as an ULNS. As I increased biodiversity and such, the tank has mostly settled in at around <1 ppm NO3 and <0.05 PO4 with occasional too low or above these nutruent targets that required some adjustments. The bubble algae was taken care of by using Emerald Crabs, but I have not been able to eliminate the GHA despite my best attempts that included manual removal, refreshing and augmenting my cleanup crew (snails, crabs, urchins, etc...). Now to be fair, the GHA isn't taking over the tank or anything, but present enough that I would like it gone.

The other day, I measured my PO4 and NO3 right after feeding and dosing phytoplankton (50ml every other day). The results were over 10x my normal 0.03ish readings. The next morning the PO4 was back to normal.

Having started phytoplankton dosing in Jan 22, I'm wondering if this my be fueling the GHA.

Thoughts?
I have always been under impression that phyto should hinder and outcompete nuisance algae’s. At my peak (sep-December 2022) I was adding over a gallon/week. Over the last 3 months, I grew tired of cultivating it and left a grow light on accidentally for 48? Hours. The phyto started growing mold. I haven’t put any in the tank for 90 days +, and haven’t noticed any significant difference. Weirdly though, I have noticed my pods population skyrocket (??) and the glass stays cleaner for much longer. Corals/fish/inverts not affected

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phyto is certainly a source of nutrients, either free or in the phyto, but other foods are also a big source. :)

I typically have adjusted wet/dry feed to keep my nutrients on target. This worked for quite a while.

Several weeks ago, I found I had to turn to GFO to get my nutrients back on target as the PO4 was going past my 0.1 upper target limit.

Since phyto is cultured and grown using fertilizers...I'm guessing that the phyto dosing is going to be pretty high in nutrients in addition to what's in the phyto.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since phyto is cultured and grown using fertilizers...I'm guessing that the phyto dosing is going to be pretty high in nutrients in addition to what's in the phyto.
It depends on the source of the phyto and what strain of phyto.

Commercial live phyto vendors state that they wash the phyto to remove the culture media along with the leftover nutrients.

For homegrown phyto using F/2, it will depend on the strain. For nano, I believe that the cultures become phosphate limited, so the culture water would still have nitrate and traces, but be lower in phosphate. Though the phosphate could still be elevated compared to the tank, but just less so than the other nutrient, as compared to the tank.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if you are harvesting prematurely allowing the f/2 to remain in the phyto.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is the worst.
OP, I have the same problem after my battle with Dino.
I have tried phyto and stopped.
No difference.
I have tried reef actif from tropic marin which did help some, not a lot.
I am now just feeding more. Trying to get more ammonium to the coral which they prefer and algae can't use. This so far is also helping a little. Some tuffs are going away.
I feel this is a long battle.
I did also order blueline reef flux yesterday. I plan to try a micro dose and see what happens.
So algae can't use ammonium????

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase mine from a R2R reefer...

I'm curious and will try to measure PO4 throughout the day before and after dosing and feedings.
I dose 2ml/G of live phyto daily from a fellow R2R reefer, probably the same person. Anyways, my nutrient levels stay pretty consistent, and I have no real "nuisance" algae. I do have to scrape my glass more often then when I didn't dose though, only side effect I have seen from dosing such a large amount.

If we are buying from the same person, I don't think it's the phyto.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 2ml/G of live phyto daily from a fellow R2R reefer, probably the same person. Anyways, my nutrient levels stay pretty consistent, and I have no real "nuisance" algae. I do have to scrape my glass more often then when I didn't dose though, only side effect I have seen from dosing such a large amount.

If we are buying from the same person, I don't think it's the phyto.
You could be correct...as it was also after wet/dry feedings.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a firm believer that my home cultured phyto was the cause of my massive gha outbreak

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using live phyto daily for about 6 months now because it was recommended to me for a small dino issue. I'm not really sure what it's doing, if anything. I've had a couple algae's come and go. But, I've still got dinos. Every once in a while I notice a decent pod population, but then it disappears. Maybe I'm confused about what phyto is for. LOL

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experiment ran...using Hanna ULR Phosphate Kit.

Pre-dosing morning reading 0.08ppm - over my typical 0.03ppm due to being away and my son probably over feeding the tank a little.

20 minutes post 50ml phyto dosing, reading 0.06ppm - so no impact. I'm just assuming the small drop is due to measurement error.

20 minutes post dry/wet feeding, reading 0.06ppm - no change.

So it looks like that high 0.38 reading was either a measurement error or maybe something got drawn into the sample.

So based on this, the phyto mix and food I use doesn't immediately impact PO4.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back