Could This Leach Metal Into The Water?

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my new rockscape is cemented together all in one single piece, so making frags of soft corals won’t be as easy as taking the rock out and cutting it. I’ll need a new plan.

What I’ve thought of so far is getting a 12” dremel extension bit, so the mechanical part of the dremel can function in the water, and the electrical components remain out of the water, and I can therefore cut small portions of the actual rock (maybe 1-2”).

My concern is that to cut rock, i would likely need a diamond tipped blade of some sort. Would the grinding action of the rock and blade leach metal into the aquarium?

Are there any suggestions for maybe a hand tool that doesn’t require and electrical components like that new maxspect coral saw? Maybe some kind of tiny, super fine, wire saw?

0362F1A3-1D8A-46E0-A318-ADD257961EC4.png

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the soft corals I've had have been pretty east to just peel off the rock, except for maybe some of the really encrusting ones. For those types you could just put small pieces of rock on your main rockwork and then remove them after the corals grow over them.

OP
OP
Dree

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove the rock, place into a separate container/tank of water and do the cutting there...then move cut pieces back.
Unfortunately, removing the 40lb single piece of rock is not so easy, especially since it’s about 5” under sand and it houses 5 fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back