- Joined
- May 16, 2025
- Messages
- 15
- Reaction score
- 14
- Location
- Virginia
- What state or country do you live in
- Virginia
Howdy,
Been out of the hobby for a long time while my kids were young and I didn't have the time. Previously, I had a 70 Gal (no drill) bowfront reef, loved the bowfront but no drill was difficult to deal with at the time. Eventually moved to a 90 Gal drilled tank. Had that tank and most of its inhabitants for 13 years. My yellow tang sadly passed away, he must have been probably 14 years old, was the first fish I had. At that point, we had to move. We moved to the country on a well system. This did not work out well, my tank crashed, my 13 year old paired clowns didn't make it and I had 2 very small children with a 3rd on the way. So I sold everything.
Fast forward to now, I have purchased a used 120 Gal tall tank. 48" long, 30" high, 18 " wide. I know a lot of people don't like these due to the extra water volume but less swimming room, so you need to keep fish that are really rated for less water volume. What I do like about it though, is it has a bit of an IMAX screen feeling to it when you stand in front. It feels like it covers all your vision to look inside. This will be different for me, so I'll see how it works out.
Purchased Used for 600$
Glass drilled reef tank 120 gal 48x30x18
Cherry Stand with Canopy
30 Gal Sump/Refugium
Eflux Return Pump
2 Heaters
2 Reactors (I ditched one)
2 full buckets of Reef Crystals
4 Stage RODI unit
All plumbing present
Purchased New approx 2500$
2x Kessil APX9 Lights
2x Jebao SOW-8 Powerheads
Bubble Magnus Curve 7 Elite Skimmer
90lbs Dry Rock
I am currently about 3/4 of the way through my cycle with Nitrites just starting to fall and Ammonia back down to near zero. Diatom blooms everywhere. So I'm pretty close to getting to the fun part.
First picture of near complete cycle. Will be ordering some Tampa Bay live rock, clean up crew additions and a couple of fish soon.

Been out of the hobby for a long time while my kids were young and I didn't have the time. Previously, I had a 70 Gal (no drill) bowfront reef, loved the bowfront but no drill was difficult to deal with at the time. Eventually moved to a 90 Gal drilled tank. Had that tank and most of its inhabitants for 13 years. My yellow tang sadly passed away, he must have been probably 14 years old, was the first fish I had. At that point, we had to move. We moved to the country on a well system. This did not work out well, my tank crashed, my 13 year old paired clowns didn't make it and I had 2 very small children with a 3rd on the way. So I sold everything.
Fast forward to now, I have purchased a used 120 Gal tall tank. 48" long, 30" high, 18 " wide. I know a lot of people don't like these due to the extra water volume but less swimming room, so you need to keep fish that are really rated for less water volume. What I do like about it though, is it has a bit of an IMAX screen feeling to it when you stand in front. It feels like it covers all your vision to look inside. This will be different for me, so I'll see how it works out.
Purchased Used for 600$
Glass drilled reef tank 120 gal 48x30x18
Cherry Stand with Canopy
30 Gal Sump/Refugium
Eflux Return Pump
2 Heaters
2 Reactors (I ditched one)
2 full buckets of Reef Crystals
4 Stage RODI unit
All plumbing present
Purchased New approx 2500$
2x Kessil APX9 Lights
2x Jebao SOW-8 Powerheads
Bubble Magnus Curve 7 Elite Skimmer
90lbs Dry Rock
I am currently about 3/4 of the way through my cycle with Nitrites just starting to fall and Ammonia back down to near zero. Diatom blooms everywhere. So I'm pretty close to getting to the fun part.
First picture of near complete cycle. Will be ordering some Tampa Bay live rock, clean up crew additions and a couple of fish soon.
