Couple of shipping questions

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never shipped a coral before. I'm hoping to within the next couple of weeks.

What ULINE bag is ideal for shipping 1-2" SPS frags?

Also, when do I go to Fedex to drop off for overnight delivery?

What is the EXACT term I use for requesting a shipping type?

I read about the specimen cups but I'm not exactly sure how to "pad" the inside of them to keep SPS from being beat up.

What is the best way to secure the top of the bag (to seal the bag shut)?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never shipped a coral before. I'm hoping to within the next couple of weeks.

What ULINE bag is ideal for shipping 1-2" SPS frags?

Also, when do I go to Fedex to drop off for overnight delivery?

What is the EXACT term I use for requesting a shipping type?

I read about the specimen cups but I'm not exactly sure how to "pad" the inside of them to keep SPS from being beat up.

What is the best way to secure the top of the bag (to seal the bag shut)?

I'm not sure on the bags.

I go to Fed Ex at 4pm, although I suggest calling your store and find out when the cutoff time is.

You want Priority Overnight service

Place a cut up plastic bag inside of the specimen cup to pad it from bumping around.

I've seen people use a food saver to melt the bag shut, that works great. I don't have one though so I just use rubber bands.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend double bagging at least and possibly triple bagging. The 4 x 12 bags work well. Check with your local fed ex office to see when the last pickup is. Usually it is around 4 or 430pm. Also check the temperature of where the package is going to decide whether or not you need a heat pack or even an ice pack. I just shipped something to Florida and the temperatures were warmer there. I use fed ex overnight guaranteed by 1030am.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 x 10 bags are fine for little sps frags. Get the 2 mil and double bag. For larger frags and mounted pieces, 4 x 11 or 4 x 12, 3 mil would be my choice. You can actually tie the bag closed, and not use rubber bands. Don't leave any air in the bags, and leave a little looseness in the bag.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information everyone, this is very helpful.

Still debating on going with the specimen cups or plastic bags. Not sure if it matters but these will be fresh cut frags.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just shipped some stuff out today. I combined several methods.

First, I put the plug onto a small styrofoam block. Then I used the small black rubber bands to secure the plug to the styrofoam.

Then I placed the frag in a smallish zippered Uline bag (I'd guess 4x2?). Then I heat sealed it with a foodsaver.

Then I double bagged it.

Then I put it in a specimen cup to protect the bags.

Then into a styrofoam shipper and filled with peanuts.

Then taped the styrofoam shipper completely.

Then taped the box completely.

Dropped the box off at 4:45 - picked up at 5:00

We'll see how it goes. :D

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just shipped some stuff out today. I combined several methods.

First, I put the plug onto a small styrofoam block. Then I used the small black rubber bands to secure the plug to the styrofoam.

Then I placed the frag in a smallish zippered Uline bag (I'd guess 4x2?). Then I heat sealed it with a foodsaver.

Then I double bagged it.

Then I put it in a specimen cup to protect the bags.

Then into a styrofoam shipper and filled with peanuts.

Then taped the styrofoam shipper completely.

Then taped the box completely.

Dropped the box off at 4:45 - picked up at 5:00

We'll see how it goes. :D

I guess the specimen cups are larger than I thought. I didn't realize there was room to have it bagged in the cup.

Do you think it would be a problem sending fresh cut frags? I am concerned that their survival rate might be lower.

One other question, do I have to request sending to the fedex office, or can the receiver request that once they have a tracking number?

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I did specimen cups for a while, buy now use 4x12 3mil bags. I triple bag all corals, and drop them off at the fedex hub near Detroit Metro. If you can find a hub, you'll have up until 2100 to drop the corals off.

I hang corals upside down, by applying a dab of glue to the plugs and placing them into the foam. I should just make a video, lol.

Thanks,

Sonny

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to attach foam to the bottom of the plug/disk/whatever you put your frags on. This way the coral is always in water. The foam keeps the coral from bouncing off anything as well.

Hello, I did specimen cups for a while, buy now use 4x12 3mil bags. I triple bag all corals, and drop them off at the fedex hub near Detroit Metro. If you can find a hub, you'll have up until 2100 to drop the corals off.

I hang corals upside down, by applying a dab of glue to the plugs and placing them into the foam. I should just make a video, lol.

Thanks,

Sonny

beat me to it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back