Couple of tank questions

Knyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a lurker for a while now. Doing reading and researching and I had some questions

For mass production tanks like WB Red Sea and IM. Is there other brands to look at as well.?

I did some searching for tanks size. And it sounds like length and depth (front to back) are the more go to out of the three
Question is. What would be consider too shallow and too tall. I’m kind of thinking 24 inches is a tad to high? than same goes for depth. What’s not deep enough. Depth wise. 20-22inches alright?

been toying with the idea of a 5 foot long tank than the other two measurement are up in the air. Looking for something more so on the longer side. 6 feet I would say is too long for myself

than last question. Is it better to look at custom build vs and manufactured one? Looking at some the wb and Red Sea. Those are some $$$$$. I do realize salt is an expensive hobby.

any feed back and info is greatly appreciated.
thanks

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you like 5 feet then 24 deep in 24 tall will work different corals need different par so light will penetrate far enough to use all space.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tend to max on length, depth, then height. I think 24” is the shortest height for 60” length though or it will look more like a frag tank.

custom builds are nice but they can also be pricey. Make sure you pick a reputable builder if you do custom. You want the tank to last a long time.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 inches will be harder to work out of as well as reduced par for lower portions. I have a 6 ft x 18 x 18 and it's maxed out. I'm in a 180 build that is 60 x 30 x 24 and I'm planning a low rock formation so my corals will have more room to grow up

OP
OP
K

Knyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feed back guys! Much help

Anyone know if there are other manufacturers to look at other than WB red sea and IM?

Thanks again

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a lurker for a while now. Doing reading and researching and I had some questions

For mass production tanks like WB Red Sea and IM. Is there other brands to look at as well.?

I did some searching for tanks size. And it sounds like length and depth (front to back) are the more go to out of the three
Question is. What would be consider too shallow and too tall. I’m kind of thinking 24 inches is a tad to high? than same goes for depth. What’s not deep enough. Depth wise. 20-22inches alright?

been toying with the idea of a 5 foot long tank than the other two measurement are up in the air. Looking for something more so on the longer side. 6 feet I would say is too long for myself

than last question. Is it better to look at custom build vs and manufactured one? Looking at some the wb and Red Sea. Those are some $$$$$. I do realize salt is an expensive hobby.

any feed back and info is greatly appreciated.
thanks

My tank is 8’ long, and only 18” deep.

Depends on what you’re trying yo accomplish etc. If you are that much up in the air, it is MUCH cheaper to buy a mass-produced tank vs making a custom one that is already close in size to one of the many standard sized tanks already out there

welcome aboard

Thad disbrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea manufactured I have never had bad luck with. Super quite tanks along with sump etc takes a lot of questions out of the process for a new reefer. However just acquired a waterbed 5526 and it is super quite also. With a manufactured tank it takes all the guess work out with overflow etc. If you go custom your going to have to put a lot more thought into it.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could also check out planet aquariums based in TX. They have standard and custom tank options. WWC has some in their showroom.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back