Couple questions on regular IO salt.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently switched when they had big 2 for 1 sale.
Questions are does this salt have a PH buffer in it? Its been mixed 72 hrs, in tank for 48 hrs with coral and fish going on 24 hrs and I haven't seen any real fluctuation in Ph. I've been solidly sitting at 8.31-8.34 since I mixed it.
What are average params you find mixing salt to 1.025 far as Cal, Mag and Alk?
Have you sent test ICP test in to see how it tests out and how do trace elements look?

TIA

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it has a buffer? I've never heard that.

Here is a link. This lists all of the salts https://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide

Here is an article on trace elements you might find handy. There are also others who posted icp analysis here.

You might enjoy this video

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it has a buffer? I've never heard that.

Here is a link. This lists all of the salts https://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide

Here is an article on trace elements you might find handy. There are also others who posted icp analysis here.

You might enjoy this video

Great video. I'll have to check the link for comparison. Whats super interesting is the amount of nasty residue left by the most expensive salt.
If I didn't see that I wouldn't of believed it.
I just switched from RC to regular IO and seems the regular IO mixes super cloudy compared to RC. So I would have expected the opposite on that for some reason.
All in all sounds like this user was let down more than anything and didn't find results he was expecting switching to the more expensive brand.
I need to check those links for params on fresh mix salts.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used both the salts in the video and both will keep a successful aquarium and are decent salts..

There is little difference between all the salts in the hobby and the type of salt you use has little to do with success in the hobby.

Most the large aquaculture facilities use IO because it is cheap and gets the job done.

I have used a bunch of different salts, I have been given salt to try and test out. Non made a big difference.
I have had bad batches of salt from different manufacturers and wont use them.

Main thing is stability from batch to batch if you dose.

Find a salt and stick with it.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the oldest and most used salt in the world, it’s fine for 99.9% of saltwater tanks out there. Lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions are does this salt have a PH buffer in it?

TIA

All seawater mixes must have buffers.

Buffering is provided by the "alkalinity", which is mostly bicarbonate and carbonate.

Normal IO has fairly high alk so fairly high buffering (which is different than high pH).

Nothing special about its buffering, though.

FWIW, it's a fine salt mix for a reef.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Ive been using IO since before I took my last tank offline in 05 ish. Never any problems with the salt.
I'm glad the comparison video was posted honestly for twice the mount per liter it sure sounded like the reefer that posted that comparison was let down more than anything and didn't see the results he was hoping for.

That being said what promoted me to make this thread was the Ph seems to be stuck in a good way since switching I haven't seen any kind of real fluctuation and was curious if others where seeing same thing with regular IO salt. Prior I was seeing swings from 8.1-8.3 with RC.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All seawater mixes must have buffers.

Buffering is provided by the "alkalinity", which is mostly bicarbonate and carbonate.

Normal IO has fairly high alk so fairly high buffering (which is different than high pH).

Nothing special about its buffering, though.

FWIW, it's a fine salt mix for a reef.
Thanks Randy I was assuming it must be the higher alk content thats possibly keeping my PH locked in around 8.3?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy I was assuming it must be the higher alk content thats possibly keeping my PH locked in around 8.3?

Yes. Normal IO (assuming an alk of 11 dKH) in complete equilibrium with normal outdoor air will have pH of about 8.3-8.4.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Normal IO (assuming an alk of 11 dKH) in complete equilibrium with normal outdoor air will have pH of about 8.3-8.4.
Wow thank you for laying that out so simple for me. I have been following your alk/ph thread and slowly getting my head wrapped around it. Super helpful though.
Can I ask what your thoughts are with the higher alk with this mix? Alot higher than what everyone seems to be running at. Should I be concerned with long term health effects for shrooms at this level with alk?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you for laying that out so simple for me. I have been following your alk/ph thread and slowly getting my head wrapped around it. Super helpful though.
Can I ask what your thoughts are with the higher alk with this mix? Alot higher than what everyone seems to be running at. Should I be concerned with long term health effects for shrooms at this level with alk?

At higher alk, if you have SPS you may get faster growth, but you need to be sure nutrients are not too low. if they are too low, you risk burnt tips.

Since the higher nutrients may result in more zoox (which are golden brown), the corals may be somewhat less colorful than at lower alk.

I generally think 7-11 dKH is OK.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions are does this salt have a PH buffer in it? Its been mixed 72 hrs, in tank for 48 hrs with coral and fish going on 24 hrs and I haven't seen any real fluctuation in Ph. I've been solidly sitting at 8.31-8.34 since I mixed it.
What are average params you find mixing salt to 1.025 far as Cal, Mag and Alk?
Have you sent test ICP test in to see how it tests out and how do trace elements look?

TIA
I mix my IO to 1.025 using a good old swing arm hydrometer.

I bought 20 boxes about 1.5yrs ago, all the same lot number.

I got the below parameters when mixing to 1.025. I'll note that I stopped testing bags after about 12 or so bags, since they were all coming out the same.
alk - 8.5-9dkh, the variance here can 100% be contributed to the margin of error for the aquaforest test kit
Ca - 380-400ppm
Mg - 1250-1350ppm

I keep my tank at 8.5dkh, so IO really makes it easy for me, it mixes up to pretty much spot on to where I want it.

As for mixing and crud in the bucket, I have gotten ZERO crud in my mixing container. There was a slight residue from the last 2 gal in the container that I let sit for a couple weeks. I usually make the RO water, start heating the water, mix in the salt, and then continue heating to 79.

I don't see the hype in TM salt. BRS does a very good job selling it, and probably has better margin than IO.

The one downside to IO is you will not get 160g out of the bucket or 200g out of the box. It even states on the packaging that to get those gallonage you need to mix to 1.021-22, a little too low for reef tanks.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my IO to 1.025 using a good old swing arm hydrometer.

I bought 20 boxes about 1.5yrs ago, all the same lot number.

I got the below parameters when mixing to 1.025. I'll note that I stopped testing bags after about 12 or so bags, since they were all coming out the same.
alk - 8.5-9dkh, the variance here can 100% be contributed to the margin of error for the aquaforest test kit
Ca - 380-400ppm
Mg - 1250-1350ppm

I keep my tank at 8.5dkh, so IO really makes it easy for me, it mixes up to pretty much spot on to where I want it.

As for mixing and crud in the bucket, I have gotten ZERO crud in my mixing container. There was a slight residue from the last 2 gal in the container that I let sit for a couple weeks. I usually make the RO water, start heating the water, mix in the salt, and then continue heating to 79.

I don't see the hype in TM salt. BRS does a very good job selling it, and probably has better margin than IO.

The one downside to IO is you will not get 160g out of the bucket or 200g out of the box. It even states on the packaging that to get those gallonage you need to mix to 1.021-22, a little too low for reef tanks.
Regular purple bucket IO? Ive yet to check alk with it as ill be checking tonight.
I keep seeing these huge discrepancies in alk ratios with the IO. Most of what ive see is reefers claiming it to mix closer to 11 on higher side.
I'm ok with using a little more to get to where I need to be.
I'm really digging the fact that the purple bucket is working with my aeration and sealed room conditions and shrooms seem to love it so far.
Like I said ive only seen a swing of .03 on Ph since I mixed it up 72 hrs ago.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. I'll have to check the link for comparison. Whats super interesting is the amount of nasty residue left by the most expensive salt.
If I didn't see that I wouldn't of believed it.
I just switched from RC to regular IO and seems the regular IO mixes super cloudy compared to RC. So I would have expected the opposite on that for some reason.
All in all sounds like this user was let down more than anything and didn't find results he was expecting switching to the more expensive brand.
I need to check those links for params on fresh mix salts.

That residue seems just precipitation (Randy did an icp on it [ps I saw randy replied so if I misunderstood you Randy feel free to correct me]). Hence why salts with things like lower alk, calcium, and magnesium (such as tropic marin with extremely low levels compared to most salts) seem to mix cleaner.

And yeah I thought instant ocean alk was a little lower but not everyone mixes to 1.026 so that would make sense. If you want to double check that just go to the manufacturers websites. I noticed they had 7.7 KH for red sea salt but the bucket states 8 at 35ppt.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That residue ot just precipitation (Randy did an icp on it). Hence why salts with things like lower alk, calcium, and magnesium (such as tropic marin with extremely low levels compared to most salts) seem to mix cleaner.
Right on. I'm all good with it mixing a little cloudier. Only reason I noticed was I rushed a new tank set up and was looking. Typically I let my new salt mix with powerheads a day or 2 before water change.
What I dont ever want to see is that nasty sludge that was left behind from the expensive stuff it was compared to!
Wonder if anyone ever checked to see what that brown funk was left over from the TM.
Anyhow in good with this salt and corals seem to be loving and thriving in it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right on. I'm all good with it mixing a little cloudier. Only reason I noticed was I rushed a new tank set up and was looking. Typically I let my new salt mix with powerheads a day or 2 before water change.
What I dont ever want to see is that nasty sludge that was left behind from the expensive stuff it was compared to!
Wonder if anyone ever checked to see what that brown funk was left over from the TM.
Anyhow in good with this salt and corals seem to be loving and thriving in it.

I am not sure what is going on in that video but I have used Tropic Marine and it is one of the most pure salts I have ever used and mixes clear fast. Just really costly.

IO leaves stuff behind but it is just a little precipitation which is common for most salts.

The only salt that I have seen that leaves a brown residue like that is RedSea. So many people use that salt with no issues.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what is going on in that video but I have used Tropic Marine and it is one of the most pure salts I have ever used and mixes clear fast. Just really costly.

IO leaves stuff behind but it is just a little precipitation which is common for most salts.

The only salt that I have seen that leaves a brown residue like that is RedSea. So many people use that salt with no issues.
Perhaps maybe something in RODI water? I seen something like that forming on my discs when I let my rodi resin burn out. A soak in 12% peroxide and toothbrush wouldn't remove it.
Needless to say I don't want to find out lol

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular purple bucket IO? Ive yet to check alk with it as ill be checking tonight.
I keep seeing these huge discrepancies in alk ratios with the IO. Most of what ive see is reefers claiming it to mix closer to 11 on higher side.
I'm ok with using a little more to get to where I need to be.
I'm really digging the fact that the purple bucket is working with my aeration and sealed room conditions and shrooms seem to love it so far.
Like I said ive only seen a swing of .03 on Ph since I mixed it up 72 hrs ago.
I'm sure there's some variance from batch to batch of IO, probably bigger swing than other brands.

I'm not doing 100% water changes or even 50% ones, so even if it did mix up to 11dkh, the impact on my tank will be minimal.

If I got a batch that mixed up to 11dkh, and I was doing weekly water changes, I could see the alk rising slowly over time, especially if you're dosing. But that could happen with any salt and not testing different batches.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always mix IO for about 24 hours before I use it and the alk is always in the 8-9 range.

Just tested a few days ago and it was 8.3 using a hannah tester. The salt was bought recently.

There are a ton of IPC tests at the RC chemical section(sticky) for IO and other salts. IO was fine in all categories.

Back