Couple quick questions on DIY Stand

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a few quick questions about the stand I am preparing to build. I've been reading and reading and reading. the more reading I do the more conflicting answers I get. I'm just going to cut to the chase and get the answers here, in one place. For starters the tank is 60x18x21 (LxWxH). I am building the stand ideally to have no center vertical supports (only on all 4 corners) in order to fit a larger sump below. I am thinking about building the whole stand using 2x6's (with the 6" being vertical and the 2" being horizontal).

First, will 2x6 be sufficient to hold a tank this size without the center uprights?
The wood I was looking at is Kiln Dried Fir, is this good?
What should I do for finishing the stand to make it resistant to saltwater?
Tank has trim, do I need plywood on top? Or just a layer of foam?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" plywood only.

If the tank is glass with trim, you don't need anything on top.

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x6 should be perfect. Maybe make it taller for your sump and room for your hands to work. 21'' seems narrow to do work in your sump. Just remember the difference between sheer and compression loads.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use ceder for finishing. No sealing required. mine is over 20 years old. only damage is on hood where return keeps it damp.(only)
old pic of my 75g Tank.jpg

OP
OP
RDA

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the Fir 2x6 at Lowes will work well (given that I cherry pick my pieces)? Or should I really source a lumber yard? The only one I found only has rough cut lumber but can special order me some smooth cut. Said it would be about 4 to 6 days for it to come in. I was hoping to build the stand tomorrow while I was off of work, but if the lumber yard will result in hands down better product then I am okay with waiting for the right stuff.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the Fir 2x6 at Lowes will work well (given that I cherry pick my pieces)? Or should I really source a lumber yard? The only one I found only has rough cut lumber but can special order me some smooth cut. Said it would be about 4 to 6 days for it to come in. I was hoping to build the stand tomorrow while I was off of work, but if the lumber yard will result in hands down better product then I am okay with waiting for the right stuff.

Fir is fir, don't waste your time and money. Obviously if you want it perfectly machined for cosmetic reasons than go with the lumberyard but structurally it's all the same.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stud lumber is fine as long as you find the few good ones in the pile. Even then I jointed & planed mine to get it perfect. Assembly just goes so much better. Double check your cuts are perfectly square - tune up the saws if not.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick the lightest pieces - they're dry and aren't going to move much. I never brought my moisture meter when picking studs, but I'd bet the heavier ones are 12-14 percent rather than the 7 - 9 percent that's optimal.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No foam. You really don't need any finish nothing is going to structurally effect a 2x4/6 stand. You only need 2x6s on the top frame, everything else can be 2x4. Make sure you have wood from the top frame to the floor nothing should be supported by screws.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't really matter.

The tank trim will sit on top of the plywood panels.

What dimension do you think is needed for the unsupported span (beam) using plywood? 6" deep? 8"?
What does the tank trim rest on?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact same dimensions on my tank and have no center brace. I used HD dimensional lumber and had 2x6's on the top frame with the rest all 2x4's. Skinned the tank with 3/8 plywood.

Stand.jpg

OurStand.jpg

I topped the stand with 3/4 plywood to help "smooth" it out.

Here's the finished stand with side cabinet attached:

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back