Will this stand hold?

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a 72”x24” plywood stand to hold a 60”x22” 110g rimless tank I have. The stand looks to be a planet or similar, constructed of 3/4 plywood. The verticals are doubled up in key places to be 1.5”. The top is smooth and solid but the stand was most likely designed to hold rimmed tanks where all the weight is only on the perimeter.

My plan is to refinish the stand, and reinforce it if needed before setting up the tank. The question is, will the stand support a smaller rimless tank as is, or will it need reinforcing? If so, what do you recommend? Ideally I’m trying to leave the area as big as I can. Would an additional piece of 3/4 plywood or granite countertop be rigid enough to get an acceptable deflection?

The stand is still buried in the garage. I can try to get better pictures if needed. The drawing is a rough sketch of how the tank will sit on the larger stand. The pictures are from the back of the stand…

IMG_7579.png
IMG_7578.jpeg
IMG_7575.jpeg
IMG_7576.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On visual analysis I think it would be sturdy enough, but it can’t hurt to reinforce the interior with a few vertical 2x4s. That’s certainly what I’d do, but then again I’m a serial pessimist :grinning-squinting-face:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks well built. I see all the key areas are pocket screwed. Joints look tight. I would use it and not think twice.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the glass box is smaller than the stand it leaves a ledge which encourages water to sit or travel underneath.
Over time, this process weakens the stand or causes warps which can snap glass.

Tanks that sit flush resist this.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On visual analysis I think it would be sturdy enough, but it can’t hurt to reinforce the interior with a few vertical 2x4s. That’s certainly what I’d do, but then again I’m a serial pessimist :grinning-squinting-face:

Looks well built. I see all the key areas are pocket screwed. Joints look tight. I would use it and not think twice.

It does look very sturdy! I feel like I could jump on it. It is for a 220g so double the weight. My main concern is the weight not being over the supports. Also the tank is a redsea, so being extra careful that everything is flat and stable!

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the glass box is smaller than the stand it leaves a ledge which encourages water to sit or travel underneath.
Over time, this process weakens the stand or causes warps which can snap glass.

Tanks that sit flush resist this.
This is a really good point I haven’t thought about! Regardless if I add supports or not, I plan to seal the top well. Hoping that the sealed top will be enough for drips.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, you’re down the street from me. Want to help me reinforce it if we go that route

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back