CPR Overflow

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am running one of these on my 125g.

I have it set as low as it will go, and I am running a aqualifter pump on it.

I havent lost siphon yet, but the thing keeps getting an accumulation of bubbles in the top of it. Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

Everything is brand new, there are no issues with the pump or overflow.

thanks

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one on my old tank, you need to adjust one side of the overflow with the thumbscrew so the air pocket is up higher near the air hole where the Aqua Lifter hooks too. Just set it so it is a little out of level, not much is needed though.

My Aqualifter finally died after 2 years of use. It might be a wise investment to purchase another just to have on hand.

Also clean the air tubes at least once a month. Easy insurance against overflows. Been there done that...

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra pre filter, and I also have an extra diaphragm for the pump. I will tilt it today, and see if that works. Sucking the air out is pretty hard actually, good respiratory exercise. Thanks for the reply, Ill post back with results.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran one on my 65g tank now for almost 8 yrs. Like said above, it's good insurance to have an extra aqualifter on hand. I usually keep 2 extra pumps and 2-5 extra prefilters on hand. I change my pre-filter once a month and clean the airtubes out. And I take a paperclip and clean out the hole on top of the overflow.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd replace the inlet and outlet tubing for the aqualifter. I used to have the same setup and I had to replace the airline tubing every few weeks or else I'd have the same problem when it would get clocked with algae or kinked.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have replaced the original stuff...there are no kinks. Same hose will pump water through pump if put in running tap water.

I raised one side, and Im still having the issue...what the heck could be going on? Do I just have a weak pump?

Really dont want to lose siphon someday and burn out a mag12...that would be pricey.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be a bad pump. I've had a couple over the years. Did you clean out that clear insert that holds the airline tube into your box? It can get clogged also.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be checking that today. Thanks everyone...if there isnt an obstruction...I guess I will buy a new pump, and plug this one into a controller for a little DIY top off action possibly.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not obstructed.

Its so weird...I sucked out all the air, and came back down a couple hours later to see that it was back where it started.

Then later that day, there was just one little group of bubbles near the top end of it...

Later again the water level was very low.

Who knows what is going on here...ordering a new pump.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make sure that the little clear insert that the airline attaches to is tightly secured in the overflow itself? Put a couple drops of water around it to make sure that it isn't sucked in from where this piece fits in. If it sucks in the drops of water, then it's probably sucking in air from where the piece fits in.

One other idea... is the overflow way overrated for the return pump from your sump? i.e. is the return pump only pushing 800 GPH at a 4 foot head, but the overflow is draining 1200 GPH? Wouldn't that eventually cause a build up of air in the overflow just because the pump can't keep up with the drain?

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the 1200gph overflow, and my mag drive is rated for something a little bit less than that at head I think.

I didnt place that little nipple on top, but I can check that as well. Thanks again everyone, what a stupid problem to be having.

I was encouraged to see that the pump caught up the other day, but then after the water level went back down it left me somewhat clueless.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back