Crab Mystery- how did I get crab(s)?

maxthisout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I purchased two Emerald Crabs to help with a small bubble algae outbreak and to work on a macro lettuce algae "problem" in my tank. The female made short work of the bubble algae in two days and the male danced around the bottom of the tank until I discovered him face up one morning last week. Also, I had a snail die so I went to my LFS and got a replacement Mexican Turbo Snail and picked up a Blood Shrimp (my wife's favorite thing in the tank are the Emerald Crabs).

Yesterday I noticed one heads of a splatter hammer was a little closed up. All my other hammers and torches look fine and happy. On quick inspection I noticed a larger Emerald Crab in the vicinity.
20230128_194910.jpg

I had to do a double take because there was also an emerald crab resting in a clump of algae.
20230128_194902.jpg

I have never been so confused, it is not like an Emerald Crab is a small hitchhiker. All I can think is my LFS added one into the bag with my snail and shrimp? Yet, I put them in by hand to not let any water get into my tank, so was this the most well hidden hop on possible?

Additionally, I added one coral in the last week and again, went through full acclimation/dip/inspection process.

I was able to get ahold of the smaller crab and she's a female, going to try and sex the larger one today.

What's the biggest mystery you've ever had in your tank?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I purchased two Emerald Crabs to help with a small bubble algae outbreak and to work on a macro lettuce algae "problem" in my tank. The female made short work of the bubble algae in two days and the male danced around the bottom of the tank until I discovered him face up one morning last week. I also had a snail die so I went to my LFS and got a replacement Mexican Turbo Snail. Also, picked up a Blood Shrimp (my wife's favorite thing in the tank are the Emerald Crabs).

Yesterday I noticed one heads of a splatter hammer was a little closed up. All my other hammers and torches look fine and happy. On quick inspection I noticed a larger Emerald Crab in the vicinity.
20230128_194910.jpg

I had to do a double take because there was also an emerald crab resting in a clump of algae.
20230128_194902.jpg

I have never been so confused, it is not like an Emerald Crab is a small hitchhiker. All I can think is my LFS added one into the bag with my snail and shrimp? Yet, I put them in by hand to not let any water get into my tank, so was this the most well hidden hop on possible?

Additionally, I added one coral in the last week and again, went through full acclimation/dip/inspection process.

I was able to get ahold of the smaller crab and she's a female, going to try and sex the larger one today.

I also suffered with similar problem. I didn't added any rocks or corals but I got Gorilla crabs. U should not worry as u hv got good crabs. Additionally I got bristle worms,hydroids,sponges,etc. Another mystery is I found my banana Wrasse after 1 yr while cleaning the sand :rolleyes:

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I purchased two Emerald Crabs to help with a small bubble algae outbreak and to work on a macro lettuce algae "problem" in my tank. The female made short work of the bubble algae in two days and the male danced around the bottom of the tank until I discovered him face up one morning last week. Also, I had a snail die so I went to my LFS and got a replacement Mexican Turbo Snail and picked up a Blood Shrimp (my wife's favorite thing in the tank are the Emerald Crabs).

20230128_194910.jpg

20230128_194902.jpg

Wow I also had emerald crab last week which came with a coral. Now I am unable to find it from a week. The biggest mystery is where does that crab gone! I tried red flashlights on nights. Another mystery which was solved is where does my small fishes go? Then I found that my carpet anemone was the culprit! My lfs didn't told me that it eats fish. At that time I was new to this hobby

OP
OP
maxthisout

maxthisout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is that the dead crab you found earlier was actually the crab’s molt, not body. So, the crab was probably alive and in there the whole time.
Ha, that has to be it! My wife made me take it out of the fridge so unable to check for hole in the back of shell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back