Crab out of shell hiding in rock crevices?

RolandosNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had a crab out of its shell because it possibly out grew it and decided to just live within your rocks crevices?

Today I was redoing my aquascape. While inspecting the rocks for any possible bristle worms. I found a pretty big crab hiding in my rock. About 1-1/2” in size and just chillin in there.

i wasn’t sure if to try to remove him or leave in there. So I went to my LFS and bought a variety of big shells to hope he comes out and finds a new home.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure with marines but land hermits will only leave a shell if it’s too small, stressed or shell jacking. It usually proves fatal to the crab. If you can, get some shells and lay them close to where you saw him at, because his abdomen will be a very easy tasty snack for other things, especially when he molts.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure with marines but land hermits will only leave a shell if it’s too small, stressed or shell jacking. It usually proves fatal to the crab. If you can, get some shells and lay them close to where you saw him at, because his abdomen will be a very easy tasty snack for other things, especially when he molts.
They will leave the shell to molt as well

Larry208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had a crab out of its shell because it possibly out grew it and decided to just live within your rocks crevices?

Today I was redoing my aquascape. While inspecting the rocks for any possible bristle worms. I found a pretty big crab hiding in my rock. About 1-1/2” in size and just chillin in there.

i wasn’t sure if to try to remove him or leave in there. So I went to my LFS and bought a variety of big shells to hope he comes out and finds a new home.
I would give him a few days and ge will find one to his liking. Might try a few out first but will find one that suits him. I have one in mine that pick one that was way to big, and eventually came back to it when had grown large enough to be able to move it around.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s definitely looking for a new home. Hermits come out of their shells when they molt. You can order a larger assortment of shells online or from LFS.

OP
OP
RolandosNanoReef

RolandosNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I bought a few pieces in different sizes and laid them out in front of the rock. Hopefully he comes out.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some hermits are empty shell species specific, meaning they like a particular species of empty shell. Not sure it this is true for your particular hermit crab?

Otherwise, it might be evolving into a Naturist situation?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back