My First Molt Experience Blue Legged Hermit Crab

Dragen Fiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2024
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
1,207
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my blue legged hermit crab disappeared on me for about 5 days in a 15G tank. Initially I though it died because that sucker could not be found and normally its very active. Low and behold I found it wedge against some rocks underneath. I thought maybe it got stuck because I see its body hanging out and no response to me poking it. So I grab some tweezers to wiggle it out. It was in there pretty good. Once I pulled it out I dropped it halfway and the body fell out of the shell. I was sad thinking it died. I come back not even 5 minutes later and I saw the shell moving lol.

I'm not sure if it was struggling to molt or actually physically stuck and I just helped it out. Or I ruined its molting process. But its been 3 days since then and no issues.
 
i've seen hermits molt and not get back into their shell and walk around the tank. weird little critters
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new