Crab that seems to be filter feeding?

WhenKeepinItReefGoesWrong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater has been in for a few months, and I've caught a handful of gorilla crabs so far. Then I saw this guy, that doesn't look like a gorilla crab, and seems to be filter feeding. I know porcelain crabs can filter feed, but to me it doesn't look like a porcelain crab. It also clearly isn't a fan of that hermit walking by it.

Any thoughts on an ID?

Attachments

• 20201228_205413.mp4
    42.2 MB

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It look completely like filter feeder, can't ID it, but there are many crabs SP which are and it look harmless.
Also the claws look more like for protection.

Following to get what ID is

#reefsqaud @ReefSquad can you help Please

@Crabs McJones ?

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WhenKeepinItReefGoesWrong , can you get some photos on it Please? and if that can be on white light, will be more helpful.
Looking the video again, the arms to the claws are very long (like for long distance defence, and they aren't fat/ thick as well, which talk to me aren't for fight or hard work and that way probably only for protection ;)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a porcelain crab, like mine
IMG_20201207_183916.jpg

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a porcelain crab, like mine
IMG_20201207_183916.jpg
it look lovely ;) .
your one have much fat and shorter arms and also his one is much bigger comparing to the hermit crab, and your one is much smaller comparing to the polyps on the softie coral (toadstool)

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the best shot I could get of him. I didn't think porcelain crabs had hair on them? But if that's what it is that's a relief that he shouldn't nibble on any of my coral.
Wasn't easy to see it, it camouflage it self very well xD
Look harmless, but I'll wait someone more knowledgeable to tell the ID.
For a while I'm looking to get some crabs, which are 100% and completely reef safe and never anyone got issues with them.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My porcelain crab doesn't bug anything, keeps to itself
can you tell me please the ID (latin name if can), as they are many SPs called porcelain crabs :)
I'm looking for something which don't grow more than 1.5", which don't have the power to more bigger LR bits, and is completely safe :) (Sorry forgot to say: filter feeder and to look colorful)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anything called a "porcelain crab" is fine. They're all the same general group of animals. Not actually crabs, but a close relative. You'll see three species in the hobby: a dull greenish-gray variety, a bluish variety with stripes, and a white variety with pink speckles and splotches. All stay small, with a body size of between a dime and a nickel. All have very weak claws, and are filter-feeders. They don't harm anything in your aquarium, and can't move any corals. The main difference is that the green ones can be kept in groups, where the other two will only sometimes tolerate each other, and the white ones are porcelain anemone crabs. Anecdotally, porcelain anemone crabs need an anemone to host in order to do well. They'll definitely host anemones, and look great in rock flower anemones.

Aside from the anemone thing, care is the same for all of them. In any tank not heavily broadcast-fed for filter-feeding animals like gorgonians, feed them regularly by using tongs or a pipette to hand them pieces of frozen or pellet food. They'll gladly take it once they learn it's food. They may get by fine on filter-feeding in some tanks, but it's always better to feed them.

You have a porcelain crab. It looks like probably a green one? It may be a species not common to the hobby, but all porcelain crabs are by and large the same for our purposes. Great to have. Totally harmless. Their claws are mostly for display, and occasionally used to grab dead food.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything called a "porcelain crab" is fine. They're all the same general group of animals. Not actually crabs, but a close relative. You'll see three species in the hobby: a dull greenish-gray variety, a bluish variety with stripes, and a white variety with pink speckles and splotches. All stay small, with a body size of between a dime and a nickel. All have very weak claws, and are filter-feeders. They don't harm anything in your aquarium, and can't move any corals. The main difference is that the green ones can be kept in groups, where the other two will only sometimes tolerate each other, and the white ones are porcelain anemone crabs. Anecdotally, porcelain anemone crabs need an anemone to host in order to do well. They'll definitely host anemones, and look great in rock flower anemones.

Aside from the anemone thing, care is the same for all of them. In any tank not heavily broadcast-fed for filter-feeding animals like gorgonians, feed them regularly by using tongs or a pipette to hand them pieces of frozen or pellet food. They'll gladly take it once they learn it's food. They may get by fine on filter-feeding in some tanks, but it's always better to feed them.

You have a porcelain crab. It looks like probably a green one? It may be a species not common to the hobby, but all porcelain crabs are by and large the same for our purposes. Great to have. Totally harmless. Their claws are mostly for display, and occasionally used to grab dead food.
@Tired THANK YOU !!!
I'll more actively now to look in the LFS for them!!! I love completely harmless creatures, almost everyone (moving) in my tank have some good purpose, only few (like red-yellow and yellow feather duster worms) are just to make it more pretty ;)
Have only 2 small clownfish, so every single creature is on it's own, don't have predators for almost anything (only for the coraline eaten by the colonista snails). Now reading (twice) your post make me sure to get at least one sooner xD Thanks again!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Porcelain crabs are decorative only, they don't really do much cleaning. They're not scavengers like real crabs are- which also makes them safer for your tank, since they're less likely to try to eat random things they find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinisation A fun thing to read. Not relevant to porcelain crab care, but they're an example of this.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcelain crabs are decorative only, they don't really do much cleaning. They're not scavengers like real crabs are- which also makes them safer for your tank, since they're less likely to try to eat random things they find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinisation A fun thing to read. Not relevant to porcelain crab care, but they're an example of this.
Thank you about, Appreciate it. That I'm looking for, crab for decoration, because have only one which I'm looking to get for CUC, no other crabs for me :) (except the one for decoration only and another one, which for over year don't touch anything except some bad algae and detritus: BALI RED DWARF HERMIT CRABS (CLIBANARIUS RUTILUS))

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a vampire crab, at least very close to.
They are peaceful But require both land and water .

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, wait. I've read up on vampire crabs, because I want some for a terrarium. They're freshwater, from Indonesia, and live in streams. How would a freshwater, Indonesian crab wind up in a reef tank?

Or are you talking about something else? The only vampire crab I've ever heard of is this kind.
1609287769682.png

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it look lovely ;) .
your one have much fat and shorter arms and also his one is much bigger comparing to the hermit crab, and your one is much smaller comparing to the polyps on the softie coral (toadstool)
Mine is almost 2" across, don't be fooled with the size of the polyps, the leather coral is 18" across

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is almost 2" across, don't be fooled with the size of the polyps, the leather coral is 18" across
that will drive me mad, crab 2" in my tank... Definitely will move some frags time by time when move around. I don't want something like. Anyway haven't seen any porcelain crabs in the LFS since, so if I found any, I'll try to figure out the particular one 1st (what SP is and how big it grow) and then I'll get it. But hanks for the info mate ;)

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you about, Appreciate it. That I'm looking for, crab for decoration, because have only one which I'm looking to get for CUC, no other crabs for me :) (except the one for decoration only and another one, which for over year don't touch anything except some bad algae and detritus: BALI RED DWARF HERMIT CRABS (CLIBANARIUS RUTILUS))
Finally, I have found someone that has mentioned Clibanarius Rutilus. This species doesn’t get much spotlight. A quick google would mostly show you online stores from Europe (Germany, Netherlands) carrying this species.

This species is quite prevalent in my country (Malaysia) since it is located smack in the middle of the Indo-Pacific region. However, they usually sell it as “Red Legged Hermit” which really isn’t helpful since a quick google will direct you to Red Scarlet Hermits. Their body is mostly red-orange to deep red, and they have even sized claws.

They don’t grow very big, I would say roughly around the size of Red Scarlets. They lack the yellow markings on their eyes and mouth region. That’s how I distinguish them from Red Scarlets and one key characteristics of Clibanarius Rutilus is; they favour Nerite shells. They will wear any shells with large openings but given a choice they will always choose Nerites. They will house in marine Nerites or the FW/Brackish Nerites just fine. So, if you ever run out of shells, maybe visit a fw lfs or those shrimp stores as they usually carry Nerites. You could ask them for the empty shells.

Also based on my personal experience, they are shy and tend to be more nocturnal. They normally hide during the day although it is not uncommon to see them out and about when the lights are on. They seem to adore lots of rock work and are extremely speedy. They will however knock down unsecured frags and have the potential to move unsecured rockwork since they love squeezing into crevices.

In terms of diet, as with most cuc hermits they will eat almost anything. Algae, food scraps and they are very meticulous. They will make sure to clean up every piece of food.

D4D4F0E4-8152-4583-8660-DF1E524CF482.jpeg DF56B73A-79D5-46A2-8121-5235C8B414B1.jpeg

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, I have found someone that has mentioned Clibanarius Rutilus. This species doesn’t get much spotlight. A quick google would mostly show you online stores from Europe (Germany, Netherlands) carrying this species.

This species is quite prevalent in my country (Malaysia) since it is located smack in the middle of the Indo-Pacific region. However, they usually sell it as “Red Legged Hermit” which really isn’t helpful since a quick google will direct you to Red Scarlet Hermits. Their body is mostly red-orange to deep red, and they have even sized claws.

They don’t grow very big, I would say roughly around the size of Red Scarlets. They lack the yellow markings on their eyes and mouth region. That’s how I distinguish them from Red Scarlets and one key characteristics of Clibanarius Rutilus is; they favour Nerite shells. They will wear any shells with large openings but given a choice they will always choose Nerites. They will house in marine Nerites or the FW/Brackish Nerites just fine. So, if you ever run out of shells, maybe visit a fw lfs or those shrimp stores as they usually carry Nerites. You could ask them for the empty shells.

Also based on my personal experience, they are shy and tend to be more nocturnal. They normally hide during the day although it is not uncommon to see them out and about when the lights are on. They seem to adore lots of rock work and are extremely speedy. They will however knock down unsecured frags and have the potential to move unsecured rockwork since they love squeezing into crevices.

In terms of diet, as with most cuc hermits they will eat almost anything. Algae, food scraps and they are very meticulous. They will make sure to clean up every piece of food.

D4D4F0E4-8152-4583-8660-DF1E524CF482.jpeg DF56B73A-79D5-46A2-8121-5235C8B414B1.jpeg
That's complete right, thank you for sharing it xD
BTW, I had few for about 1+ year, and they never overgrow the size of the shells I got them with. I never saw them to fight with each other, even the tank was mainly with frags they don't make any harm moving them a bit (and the small collonista snails move the fragsa as well). I love them and because they are really fast which make them a bit more attractive to me + the size + that they can reach almost everywhere to eat all what leftover (really good cleaners). The problem I have since UK become under Brexit (now is out of the EU), the suppliers aren't delivering them like before, and it's very hard to find any on reasonable price (they start to overprice them because aren't that popular here :( )
And thank you for sharing about the shells ;) I'll have it on mind to drop some, as I have many left after 6-7 years here in the FW hobby. Also have collection of over hundred of snail shells, many small with big opening.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back