Hermit crab attacking BTA?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I added my first BTA, it seemed happy enough and puffed up, wandering around a little looking for somewhere it likes. Then when I checked back a while look after one of my hermit crabs was harassing it. See the video for what it was doing. I was about to relegate the crab to the sump when it lost interest and walked away.

Is this ok/normal/bad/neutral?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are considered scavengers, so anything they view as food, can and will quickly become food. I am not saying that the crab was eating the anemone, but if you just fed your tank or directly fed the anemone, its possible that it was trying to get food within the anemone. Overall, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but in the hobby we have the saying, "if it's got claws, it breaks laws." That only had a few exceptions, with one being a porcelain crab. Some say hermits are also an exception, but it really depends. My hermits are role model citizens of my tank and have not bothered one thing in my tank, but thats just my experience.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back