Hermit crab attacking BTA?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I added my first BTA, it seemed happy enough and puffed up, wandering around a little looking for somewhere it likes. Then when I checked back a while look after one of my hermit crabs was harassing it. See the video for what it was doing. I was about to relegate the crab to the sump when it lost interest and walked away.

Is this ok/normal/bad/neutral?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are considered scavengers, so anything they view as food, can and will quickly become food. I am not saying that the crab was eating the anemone, but if you just fed your tank or directly fed the anemone, its possible that it was trying to get food within the anemone. Overall, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but in the hobby we have the saying, "if it's got claws, it breaks laws." That only had a few exceptions, with one being a porcelain crab. Some say hermits are also an exception, but it really depends. My hermits are role model citizens of my tank and have not bothered one thing in my tank, but thats just my experience.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back