Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! You alternating the flow?
I haven't gotten to play with them much, right now I have them both in Random mode maxed out at 30%, I want to figure out how to sync them to create a perfect gyre. Any tips?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't gotten to play with them much, right now I have them both in Random mode maxed out at 30%, I want to figure out how to sync them to create a perfect gyre. Any tips?
Don't know if the Icecaps have the same settings but I run one for 30 seconds and then it backs off and then the other kicks in for same. I've heard others on the 2 minute cycles. I prefer the turbulent over the constant. My corals seem to like it but my sand does not! :( That may change here next month. I may remove most of the sand from my tank.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190203_230910.jpg

Hubby bought me a 75 gallon tank and stand a couple years ago. Took me awhile to get our reef up and running (I wanted hardwood floors first). Here is our tank and it's been up for almost 1.5 years. You will love the possibilities of the 75 gallon.

My 4 year old son keeps asking me to put a "sunking ship" in our new tank. Great look! Reminds me of the 90's. Those sunken ships were in every aquarium...at least it felt like that.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have xf250's alternating, 10% - 50% max, 4 second on, 4 second off offset from each other. This keeps the motion in the tank in constant randomness.

Not sure how the icecap controller work though. The XF's booklet has about 12 pages of different options to set them at.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm learning towards as well. Pretty much every piece of equipment on my current tank is oversized and will work perfectly for the 75. Only thing I'm slightly concerned about are my MP10s. I'm sure the two of them can handle the extra foot. Oh and the lighting will have to go. The fixture I have is 36 inches and wont be able to spread out enough on a 48" tank.
I’ve got two mp10s on my 75 mixed running at about 80%. Only wish I had another to run on the back. Just have a couple low flow spots but I’ve got a couple of think islands.
Start with the two and add another if you need.
Following on the edge of my seat...
Note: missed the post on already having gyres

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates today, but stand and new lighting is on the list. Still undecided if I want to do DIY stand or buy something pre-built.
And need to sell my halide fixture to fund the new lighting lol

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going with a pair of hydra 26hds with t5's

The ease of their setup cant be beat plus no wires to use your apex to control them, straight wifi!
Are you going with the aquatic life fixture again for the t5’s?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ease of their setup cant be beat plus no wires to use your apex to control them, straight wifi!
Are you going with the aquatic life fixture again for the t5’s?
Yup. I had such good luck with it last time that I want to do it again :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I had such good luck with it last time that I want to do it again :)

Should take a fts with settings you used when ran the kessil/t5 would be interesting to see the difference in overall color when the t5’s fill out(if going with the same bulb choice). Seen a prime next to a160 noticed the AI’s were a little more purple.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update. Thanks to this wonderful community and the extreme helpfulness and generosity of @Crabby48 I will have part of my lighting next week! Hes sending me a pair of Hydra 26's that he was no longer using :)
I cant thank you enough. Its things like this that make me love the hobby and the community :)
After all, us crabs have to stick together, right? ;) :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back