Crab's 75 Gallon SPS Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Crabs Mcjones, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

You're so mischievous...I LOVE IT!

Crabby48, JoshH, Victoria M and 9 others like this.

2. RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21 Rookie Reefer R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

muhaha.gif

3. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

So the fish store emailed me back. We are good to go. Unfortunately it's another 120 miles round trip. But it's taken care of. Going to let me check the other tank for tempered glass. If it is I'll get the reef ready and drill a separate return and use the two holes in the overflow for my Herbie style setup.

Crabby48, pelphrey, MTBake and 12 others like this.
  4. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Two Score and Five Years ago-Salty R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Man, I hate to read of this happening.

Sounds like they've got your back on the problem though.

5. Mudder

Mudder Member R2R Supporter

Congrats on the new tank..Sorry for the rocky start..Hopefully you got that out of the way and the rest goes smooth..:)

6. hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

What a bummer, sorry to about the troubles. But I'm glad to hear your getting another crack at it. :)

7. spyder813

spyder813 !!! Happy Wife....Happy Reefing !!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Sorry to hear that Crabs. When I purchase the 75g Aqueon at Petco I find out later that the whole tank was tempered. I'm glad I didn't drill the tank. I will get the Marineland brand at Pet Supermarket that by the manufacturer only the bottom is tempered. Hope you can solve the problem.

8. Crabs Mcjones

Please dont mention crack, chipping, shattering, breaking in here ever again. My PTSD is kicking in lol

9. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Two Score and Five Years ago-Salty R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I caught that too. LOL

10. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

But what if your new house has the perfect spot for a 125 plumbed to the basement?

Crabby48, NY_Caveman, JoshH and 7 others like this.
  11. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Sorry about the hiccup brother! It will be alright!

Crabby48, NY_Caveman, Why-Me and 4 others like this.
  12. hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

13. Victoria M

How does that work?

14. Victoria M

Totally different but similiar. I used a brand new Pyrex 2 cup glass measuring cup a couple days ago to make ice tea. I do this many times a week but it was a new one. I poured the hot water over the tea bag and boom it exploded glass all over me and the kitchen. Scared me witless. I have recently had brain surgery so my neuro responses are outta wack but I could not move for a few seconds, could not talk either then nearly passed out! No bueno! Stooped glass!

15. scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Place laptop in the tank with screen on. Take pair of polarized sunglasses and from other side of glass you turn them and see if the screen blacks out. If it does black out it is not tempered glass. If it doesn't then it is tempered. Has to do with tempered glass having micro stress lines and it diffusing the light.

***Notice*****
    Please take this advice as just that, as just advice. Make sure the tank is completely dry and free of any hazardous materials, fish, corals or other livestock before putting in any laptops. It is not recommended to use smart phones to perform this test as OLED screens are not effected by polarization in a lot of cases. It might be smart to wear safety glasses, gloves, and steel toe boots when dealing with heavy objects that can shatter. If you feel unsafe at anytime please stop and PM me immediately and I will tell you that it will be OK.

Tom

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  16. Crabs Mcjones

If you put a laptop inside the tank and turn it on and look at it from the outside with polarized sunglasses, tempered glass will produce black lines in the glass. Ever look at your cars windows with sunglasses on and see all the little black dots? Same thing :)

17. JimFuller

JimFuller Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Be Careful, On mine they drilled the Reef Ready holes and then tempered the bottom. So, no drilling extra holes in the bottom. Check that first. That is why I was looking at coming up over side. Just exercise caution.

18. mch1984

mch1984 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

Sorry to hear about the troubles, never any fun. Great store making it better for you.

19. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I strongly discourage anyone from putting a laptop in their tank without emptying it first. ;):D

Mical, seaplane, Crabby48 and 16 others like this.
  20. DLHDesign

DLHDesign Ex-Noob R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Them new-fangled electronic devices are all waterproof nowadays anyways, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted