Crabs eating brittle star?

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a small brittle star along with a red matrix crab and sally light foot crab. In the acclimation bucket i caught the red matrix eating legs off the poor star! Needless to say that i separated the 2 and the matrix is now in a small tank for the time being. The brittle star has legs about 1.5" long. I now am noticing that the sally light foot is picking at his legs sticking out of the rocks. I have no idea what to do, i cant get the brittle star out of the tank because hes always hiding in the rocks. Do you think that the red matrix will eat a larger brittle star? I want to keep all of them but of course not at the cost of causing the other one being torn apart . Please help me. Anyone else had the same problem?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he’s tasty, possibly. Hard to say. Did it actual eat the legs off or just nip at them? I like to try and keep my crabs happy by wrapping some nori onto small flat rocks so they can nibble away at it. If you feed your crabs well they’ll tend to leave things alone (but not always).

OP
OP
Holy handgrenade

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he’s tasty, possibly. Hard to say. Did it actual eat the legs off or just nip at them? I like to try and keep my crabs happy by wrapping some nori onto small flat rocks so they can nibble away at it. If you feed your crabs well they’ll tend to leave things alone (but not always).
He literally tore 2 legs off of the poor star. If he had more food at his reach like algae and nori ,do you think the red matrix and emerald crabs (yes i want those too) will pass up the star?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He literally tore 2 legs off of the poor star. If he had more food at his reach like algae and nori ,do you think the red matrix and emerald crabs (yes i want those too) will pass up the star?
Emeralds, maybe. I honestly couldn’t say about the matrix. I’ve lost starfish, but mainly to disease and not any reef inhabitants.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , Aren’t Emerald and Matrix crabs are the same? Just picking ?
Matrix or Mithrax? What color are yours? My Emerald crabs are dark green and predominantly algae eaters. They aren’t really inquisitive about anything unless it’s green and smells like seaweed...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mithrax, and I’ve had both colors in the past , I was always under the impression they were both Mithrax crabs?
Well, my green Emeralds have never touched any of my starfish. Neither have my algae, gold dot, blue leg, scarlet, orange leg, sally lightfoot, halloween or strawberry crabs. Even the 3” coral banded shrimp has zero f*cks to give. And when starfish have lost legs they’ve been left alone (detached legs and the starfish). Which isn’t to say that they might - just that mine haven’t.

I have acclimated the occasional starfish and crab together, and it’s never been an issue (at least for me). Maybe the crabs were just severely malnourished and overly hungry? One never truly knows how well fed our reef inhabitants may have been fed prior to receipt.

OP
OP
Holy handgrenade

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mithrax, and I’ve had both colors in the past , I was always under the impression they were both Mithrax crabs?
Woops i read matrix and not Mithrax . Well this one that i have is apparently a close relative to the emerald. Should i try to introduce the crab back into my DT if i feed him lots of nori/fish food? Hes a really cool looking fella, would love to see him in the main tank

Attachments

• Screenshots_2021-09-13-09-08-17.png
    Screenshots_2021-09-13-09-08-17.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshots_2021-09-13-09-08-00.png
    Screenshots_2021-09-13-09-08-00.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 37

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woops i read matrix and not Mithrax . Well this one that i have is apparently a close relative to the emerald.
Unfortunately my experience is limited to the Emerald variety. Starfish are notoriously hard to keep in captivity. Crabs, not so much...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back