Cracking Radion G5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda think the point is that this light is ridiculously expensive, wasn’t packaged well, and has a design flaw that smacks of laziness. For $840, consumers should not be asked to perform maintenance before even turning it on! Never mind the dumpster fire that Ecotech calls an app...
If this was a normal time period I would agree, but it’s not! It’s a safe bet that had this been back In January ETM would have done the repairs and shipping for free.
It’s unrealistic to expect any better customer service than your getting now when the whole global business sector is taking a dump.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume the cracking is a low enough percentage occurrence that suspending retail isn't in the cards, especially during covid. Brand loyalty is so strong it won't affect much long term, heck, some owners are already making this to be going above and beyond. A few negative posts here or on FB won't really change anything when they have legions of boastful owners and huge retail / media partners pushing everything they carry.

The story is much like another top marketed brand in the hobby, but as long as people keep blindly pumping money, there is no incentive to change.

If this was a normal time period I would agree, but it’s not! It’s a safe bet that had this been back In January ETM would have done the repairs and shipping for free.
It’s unrealistic to expect any better customer service than your getting now when the whole global business sector is taking a dump.
Covid isn't preventing them from pulling potentially damaged sku's from retail sale. This is a business, not some altruistic charity. If anything it's shielding a lot of the frustration, when an owner would be well within their rights to return said product to the retailer since it is damaged, out of the box. The card inside the box, and retail partner agreements may say to direct all issues to the manufacturer, but consumer laws supersede all of that.

I just don't get why this hobby has so many owners with heads in the sand as to how manufacturers operate. Even the car scenes, which have such fervent brand loyalty it makes ours look like peanuts, understand how the game is played.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it unrealistic to expect the original finished product to actually be a finished product? I mean we aren’t talking about a black box LED here...

For example: if you ordered 4 iPhones right now, (made in China) would it be unrealistic to expect all 4 of them to arrive with uncracked screens?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes me laugh to think of peoples perspective, in one hand you got a hands down, second to none, superior performing light for an awesome price. Yet on the other hand all everyone is focusing on is a cosmetic flaw that has already been identified, addressed and replacement parts are being shipped.

How long are we going to cry over spilled milk? It happened, all this complaining isn't going to take away the fact that these lights are still the best.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes me laugh to think of peoples perspective, in one hand you got a hands down, second to none, superior performing light for an awesome price.

Some awesome claims from an Ecotech Expert here! :p

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example: if you ordered 4 iPhones right now, (made in China) would it be unrealistic to expect all 4 of them to arrive with uncracked screens?

Yes and would it not have been unrealistic to get an Iphone 4 that dropped your phone call if you held the phone in your left hand? Millions of those went out to the public, I had one and "Antenna gate" was a rather annoying problem that never did have a solution. Also lets not forget the original Apple maps! Remember that's the map that would send you driving off the edge of a cliff ;)

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom line is that ETM rushed to release the Gen 5, Mobius, and the Versa to the public. We all know nothing in this hobby come out good when we rush things. All these 3 products are as best still in beta. Hopefully ETM take all of these mistakes so far and learn from them and not to do it in the future.

On another note, I had contacted ETM in the beginning of March about the cracked housing issue and was told the request was put in for replacement parts as soon as shipping department open back up. I had saw on another thread that somebody contacted ETM last week and got a tracking # for the replacement parts that same week to be delivered in a few days. Do I have to stomp my feet and scream at ETM to get they attention? It’s unacceptable. Moving on I have to think about buying from ETM again as many are feeling the same as I am.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The bottom line is that ETM rushed to release the Gen 5, Mobius, and the Versa to the public. We all know nothing in this hobby come out good when we rush things. All these 3 products are as best still in beta. Hopefully ETM take all of these mistakes so far and learn from them and not to do it in the future.

On another note, I had contacted ETM in the beginning of March about the cracked housing issue and was told the request was put in for replacement parts as soon as shipping department open back up. I had saw on another thread that somebody contacted ETM last week and got a tracking # for the replacement parts that same week to be delivered in a few days. Do I have to stomp my feet and scream at ETM to get they attention? It’s unacceptable. Moving on I have to think about buying from ETM again as many are feeling the same as I am.

I think I saw the same thread and I'm like more than just a little jealous. lol
I called 10 days ago and still haven't even gotten a order confirmation email, much less a tracking number.
Oh well, takes a little luck sometimes. Not my turn.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe, etm knows the fan bod will run out and get anything they throw a label on. So rather than go thru the bugs and not yet have cash flow pour in, they know they can put them out there and they will sell regardless?

Perhaps if people didn’t need the feel the need to post a thread n their new light build, and be the first to the party, they would have to be more careful with their releases and where the product is from a bug standpoint?

You can just see the language most use with this brand, sounds an awful lot like friends I have when they talk about new Apple products and being sold on them even prior to their release. Terms like platform, second to none, superiors, are strong words for items people have no knowledge or review of yet, purely speculation and assumption.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe, etm knows the fan bod will run out and get anything they throw a label on. So rather than go thru the bugs and not yet have cash flow pour in, they know they can put them out there and they will sell regardless?

Perhaps if people didn’t need the feel the need to post a thread n their new light build, and be the first to the party, they would have to be more careful with their releases and where the product is from a bug standpoint?

You can just see the language most use with this brand, sounds an awful lot like friends I have when they talk about new Apple products and being sold on them even prior to their release. Terms like platform, second to none, superiors, are strong words for items people have no knowledge or review of yet, purely speculation and assumption.

It is true! If you want to buy products on the bleeding edge you should not complain to loudly when something goes wrong. If you want something that is guaranteed to be reliable then wait it out for several months and let the public tell you when it's problem free.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracked casing are whatever to me, but this ticks me off to no end. I’ll be selling all 4 once the new covers come in, a different brand of lights on the way. Somebody else can be a beta tester for their trash product.

96C6C41A-EFDA-4D83-8DD8-957FC547C03B.png

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracked casing are whatever to me, but this ****** me off to no end. I’ll be selling all 4 once the new covers come in, a different brand of lights on the way. Somebody else can be a beta tester for their trash product.

96C6C41A-EFDA-4D83-8DD8-957FC547C03B.png

That is a bummer when 2 out of your 4 can’t make connection with Mobius.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and would it not have been unrealistic to get an Iphone 4 that dropped your phone call if you held the phone in your left hand? Millions of those went out to the public, I had one and "Antenna gate" was a rather annoying problem that never did have a solution. Also lets not forget the original Apple maps! Remember that's the map that would send you driving off the edge of a cliff ;)
Apples to oranges. Obviously both companies have had their share of growing pains in the past, the difference is that Apple learned from them. As I said in my post, if you ordered Apples new products right now, what would your expectations be? Would they arrive in quality packaging? Would they be damaged? Would they work as advertised?

my current phone bill includes 4 iPhones and 7 iPads, and every single one of them checks all those boxes.

going back to ETM, a “high end” company that is clearly attempting to follow Apple’s successful business model. Did they deliver?

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored unplug your lights for 30 sec. Force close the app and replug in light and then open app. That should fix it. You can unplug the connection or plug whichever is easier for you.

I've had a couple weird bugs with the app but both were easily fixed on android. You can also screenshot and report right to them which I'm sure you already know.

I have had zero connection issues and if you are having some I would try ^ first. If that doesnt work I would either go into settings and delete the trouble devices.

Finally if that doesnt work I would delete and reinstall the app entirely.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HolySmoke thanks, i turn them off with Apex. Problem is after all 4 lights update they fail to connect to the 4. So every time I want to make change i have to power cycle them, Ecotech knows about the problem and have acknowledged it via a trouble ticket. My new lights will be here Thursday and use wifi thankfully

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HolySmoke thanks, i turn them off with Apex. Problem is after all 4 lights update they fail to connect to the 4. So every time I want to make change i have to power cycle them, Ecotech knows about the problem and have acknowledged it via a trouble ticket. My new lights will be here Thursday and use wifi thankfully

Glad to hear that and can understand your frustration. Reading all the issues you have been having, I too would be livid.

I'm not implying you are incompetent if that was your feeling. Simply just trying to help. Have you tried going into settings and deleting the devices or factory resetting and trying to reinstall update. Sounds like maybe the update corrupted.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the moment i took them out of the box they all had this issue even when adding the lights. When I go to re add them it will find the 4 lights, connect to them, then they will fail to sync. Its also not the same lights every-time. Some times it will only sync to one light, other times to 3. I have been working with Ecotech, i’m just tired of dealing with it. I have also had 2 occasions now where my wife wakes me up in the middle of the night to tell me one of the lights are on and the other day I noticed one of the lights were way brighter than the others. Ecotech has refused to replace the lights, I have asked them for a return authorization so I can get my money back from my LFS. I feel bad selling these lights to anybody.

mind you I don’t hate ecotech. I have purched 5 G4 radions, 4 G5 radions, and 4 MP40’s in the last 9 months. In my opinion Ecotech has truly sold a defective product to consumers, I feel ripped off by them.

It’s sad really

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apples to oranges. Obviously both companies have had their share of growing pains in the past, the difference is that Apple learned from them. As I said in my post, if you ordered Apples new products right now, what would your expectations be? Would they arrive in quality packaging? Would they be damaged? Would they work as advertised?

my current phone bill includes 4 iPhones and 7 iPads, and every single one of them checks all those boxes.

going back to ETM, a “high end” company that is clearly attempting to follow Apple’s successful business model. Did they deliver?

Really! Apple did not offer to change or fix my old iPhone4. They told me to hold it in my right hando_O not my left! The Map problems took about 2 years to fix and by then Apple Maps was no longer even a player in the map market. Like you I have also bought a crap load of iphones although I don't have seven iPads, I cannot see why anyone would need seven! Anyway I don't know what you mean by ETM is not learning. They have been making better lights with each generation. Problems like this are something that occasionally happens to many companies and is not as foreseeable as you might think. I will say that ETM using Bluetooth for communications is a huge mistake and in the end that is the problem that I think will continue to haunt them a lot longer than cracking problem.

Last edited:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really! Apple did not offer to change or fix my old iPhone4. They told me to hold it in my right hando_O not my left! The Map problems took about 2 years to fix and by then Apple Maps was no longer even a player in the map market. Like you I have also bought a crap load of iphones although I don't have seven iPads, I cannot see why anyone would need seven! Anyway I don't know what you mean by ETM is not learning. They have been making better lights with each generation. Problems like this are something that occasionally happens to many companies and is not as foreseeable as you might think. I will say that ETM using Bluetooth for communications is a huge mistake and in the end that is the problem that I think will continue to haunt them a lot longer than cracking problem.
I agree. Connectivity issues and a poor App are much worse to the overall quality, but the cosmetic issues are terrible PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back