Cracking Radion G5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful for new buyers and recent buyers if ETM supplied the starting serial number for lights that already have the fix implemented.

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful for new buyers and recent buyers if ETM supplied the starting serial number for lights that already have the fix implemented.

Fix what? I just got a replacement that had the panel with uneven screws. That is, some are screwed in, some were not. Meaning, it looks as if they purposely allowed some screws to not go all the way in. I don't have the size measurement for the screws holding panel in.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my second batch today. Production date February. Both lights have cracks.
A6F3B130-CE2B-4C30-806C-DECF0E7F5DCA.jpeg
5CD9297A-5571-4358-A4C8-C4426EF26352.jpeg

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a redesign. The flaw was that the case didn't sit flush, so when the screws were tightened it sucked the case further than was supposed to go causing it to warp. The updated design has the same case with a captured screw with a spacer to take up the difference needed.
Is this just a cosmetic issue or will it affect the operation of the lights down the road?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights still work, mine were not cracked out of the box but made a creaking/popping noise

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights still work, mine were not cracked out of the box but made a creaking/popping noise
Both of mine were cracked out of the box but they work so far. My first batch didn’t even work so I guess I’m lucky. It’s seems it can be easily repaired by just replacing the cover.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All-

Plain and simple: my sincere apology to any of you guys affected by cracks around the four mounting screws. If you have this problem, give us a call or send us an email and we'll resolve it by sending a replacement cover. We aren't doing a service exchange for this problem because the disruption to you as a hobbyist having to send in your light for replacement isn't worth your time and hassle. The cracks that may exist on your lower cover are unacceptable and we acknowledge this, but the light is fully functional in the mean time and nothing will be damaged by continuing to use the product until your replacement cover arrives.

Some background, the countersunk holes are over stressed when assembled due to a molding issue affecting the overall size of the lower cover. We have remedied this by installing captive washers behind the countersink to eliminate deflection on the cover during assembly and reduce the stress that the housing experiences. This resolution has been in production for several weeks. The replacement covers come with four screws with the captive washers pre-installed.

One thing I can assure you of, we won't ever leave you hanging. Don't worry.
So the cracks are purely cosmetic? Will this affect the functionality of the unit in the future ?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this just a cosmetic issue or will it affect the operation of the lights down the road?
So the cracks are purely cosmetic? Will this affect the functionality of the unit in the future ?
It's simply cosmetic, it does not effect the lights function and ability to grow coral. Simply a casing issue.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how much these lights cost it’s very disappointing of continuing to hear about the cracking issue. Seems like every day there 1or 2 reefers reporting the same issue. It really stopped me from upgrading to this platform.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same issue, they sold a ton of G5s so of course you're going to continue to see reports. Tim explained it in his response. The fix is out, there's an inconvenience to the customer having to replace the effected parts, it is what it is.

I'm quite certain ETM isn't wringing their hands with a grin on their face. To know that they are replacing effected units in a time where production has grinded to a crawl says a lot about what they're doing to make things right.

Given the circumstances they're doing a pretty good job managing the situation.

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same issue, they sold a ton of G5s so of course you're going to continue to see reports. Tim explained it in his response. The fix is out, there's an inconvenience to the customer having to replace the effected parts, it is what it is.

I'm quite certain ETM isn't wringing their hands with a grin on their face. To know that they are replacing effected units in a time where production has grinded to a crawl says a lot about what they're doing to make things right.

Given the circumstances they're doing a pretty good job managing the situation.
Do you know what size screw or where that sticky is? I got mines but some screws weren't screwed all the way in. At this point, I will just use it.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's simply cosmetic, it does not effect the lights function and ability to grow coral. Simply a casing issue.

I kind of disagree, given it’s supposed to be sealed from salt intrusion.... hence the whole point of the external fan on top of the heatsink.

Then again, you would probably call this “cosmetic” too :p

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
except when salt ends up in the cracks!!!
You could just use some clear tape over the cracks or if your more technically inclined you could epoxy back the pieces until you get the new case plate.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirmed both of my XR30 Blues manufactured in Feb have the same issues with cracks around all of the hex screws. Ticket opened with ETM.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Affecting the G5 Blue so far?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just use some clear tape over the cracks or if your more technically inclined you could epoxy back the pieces until you get the new case plate.
I kinda think the point is that this light is ridiculously expensive, wasn’t packaged well, and has a design flaw that smacks of laziness. For $840, consumers should not be asked to perform maintenance before even turning it on! Never mind the dumpster fire that Ecotech calls an app...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back