Craigslist 240

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently browsing through craigslist when I found an add for a 240 (which leaks) for 75$... do you think it’s worth picking up to re-silicon and either selling again or using if the seams hold?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To re-silicone it you need to completely rip out all of the old silicone. New silicone won't stick to old. A 240 would be a big job.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna say no, not a good deal. 240 gallons is not something you want to try your first seam repair on. There’s a reason they’re selling it so cheap. Who ever buys that tank is doing the seller a huge a favor to get rid of their very heavy headache.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have bought 3 big tanks (6') tanks on Craigslist and 3 different stories. 1- bought a 125 older tank didn't leak. Planned on tearing it completely apart so I could do a external coast to coast overflow. I'll tell you what a nightmare. So much silicone, so much mess, each pane is heavy. Front pane slid when taking tank apart and cracked. So that tank was shot, and I used the glass to build my current overflow. 2- tank good shape, just made of glass thinner than I'd like, traded it for a purple tang. 3rd I my current 180 gallon. Drilled the back for. 4 foot internal/external overflow. Love it. However mine did not leak but I redid the entire internal silicone fillet baca use it was getting flakey. Up and running for a few months now and so far so good.

My thought are, unless you are very very good, I mean almost expert, I wouldn't trust tearing the tank apart and stripping the old silicone off, then rebuilding it. There's over a ton (literally 2000 pounds) of water in that tank and I certainly wouldn't trust a leaker. If it's literally leaking the. The structural seam has failed and will never be fixed unless completely stripped, which to my knowledge is nearly impossible to clean the silicone out of the micro pores of the glas which creates the bond we rely on so much. The internal fillet is there to protect the true seam between the panes. So I'd also say no for using it at a 240 tank ever again.
However, 75 bux for that much Half inch or thicker glass is wicked cheap. Could build a darn nice rimless tank with that glass :) that is if you can convince a glass cutter to cut the glass for ya. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around me there is a guy that will rebuild your tank for a couple hundred dollars. As long as the glass is in good shape, not scratched, etched, etc you can have a 240 gallon tank for $300-$400. That's still a good deal to me, and is of course dependent on someone near you rebuilding the tank. If the glass is not display tank quality, you would have enough glass to build a phenomenal sump.

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have bought 3 big tanks (6') tanks on Craigslist and 3 different stories. 1- bought a 125 older tank didn't leak. Planned on tearing it completely apart so I could do a external coast to coast overflow. I'll tell you what a nightmare. So much silicone, so much mess, each pane is heavy. Front pane slid when taking tank apart and cracked. So that tank was shot, and I used the glass to build my current overflow. 2- tank good shape, just made of glass thinner than I'd like, traded it for a purple tang. 3rd I my current 180 gallon. Drilled the back for. 4 foot internal/external overflow. Love it. However mine did not leak but I redid the entire internal silicone fillet baca use it was getting flakey. Up and running for a few months now and so far so good.

My thought are, unless you are very very good, I mean almost expert, I wouldn't trust tearing the tank apart and stripping the old silicone off, then rebuilding it. There's over a ton (literally 2000 pounds) of water in that tank and I certainly wouldn't trust a leaker. If it's literally leaking the. The structural seam has failed and will never be fixed unless completely stripped, which to my knowledge is nearly impossible to clean the silicone out of the micro pores of the glas which creates the bond we rely on so much. The internal fillet is there to protect the true seam between the panes. So I'd also say no for using it at a 240 tank ever again.
However, 75 bux for that much Half inch or thicker glass is wicked cheap. Could build a darn nice rimless tank with that glass :) that is if you can convince a glass cutter to cut the glass for ya. Just my thoughts.

I never thought of just using the glass but you’re right that’s a crazy price, never dealt with a glass cutter before, how much would it be approx. do you believe? I mean with that much glass for 75$ I mean any amount is probably a good deal but just curious.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of just using the glass but you’re right that’s a crazy price, never dealt with a glass cutter before, how much would it be approx. do you believe? I mean with that much glass for 75$ I mean any amount is probably a good deal but just curious.

Well that all depends on how close of friends you are with your local glass cutter ;) I know in my area, my glass shops won't touch anything if it is attached with the word "aquarium". However, I talked to him at great length and he told me that if I provide the glass, assume all responsibility for if the glass, and if it doesn't score/fracture right, its on me. My glass guys will cut and give me sanded edges for free as long as it is in their spare time. I usually throw them a few bones anyways. Note, most glass shops will probably tell you they don't have the equipment to cut 1/2" or thicker glass. there is a very specific snaping tool you must use to slowly crack the score. Its not easy, I've tried. Out of curiosity, I have scored a 6 foot piece in half, put a broom handle under the sore line and jumped on the darn thing. Nothing lol. (please do not try this as it is dangerous and dumb lol. I literally was just wondering how strong this glass actually is. So, I either cut it on my wet tile saw or take it to them to score and snap. If you want the edges polished, you will probably have to pay to have them ship it to a place who polishes the edges, and pay the per inch fee of something like 2 bux an inch or so. Also the glass must be darn near perfect, no scratches near the desired score line, no coralline, dirt, debris, silicone, etc, or else it will not score straight and likely fracture across the pane. Again, it is not easy, but if you can do it, you can build a sweet custom tank for peanuts. Well worth the try in my book. If you do, I would recommend the momentive black 100 series rtv to glue the new panes together. Not just hardware store grade silicone.

OP
OP
M

mjanko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that all depends on how close of friends you are with your local glass cutter ;) I know in my area, my glass shops won't touch anything if it is attached with the word "aquarium". However, I talked to him at great length and he told me that if I provide the glass, assume all responsibility for if the glass, and if it doesn't score/fracture right, its on me. My glass guys will cut and give me sanded edges for free as long as it is in their spare time. I usually throw them a few bones anyways. Note, most glass shops will probably tell you they don't have the equipment to cut 1/2" or thicker glass. there is a very specific snaping tool you must use to slowly crack the score. Its not easy, I've tried. Out of curiosity, I have scored a 6 foot piece in half, put a broom handle under the sore line and jumped on the darn thing. Nothing lol. (please do not try this as it is dangerous and dumb lol. I literally was just wondering how strong this glass actually is. So, I either cut it on my wet tile saw or take it to them to score and snap. If you want the edges polished, you will probably have to pay to have them ship it to a place who polishes the edges, and pay the per inch fee of something like 2 bux an inch or so. Also the glass must be darn near perfect, no scratches near the desired score line, no coralline, dirt, debris, silicone, etc, or else it will not score straight and likely fracture across the pane. Again, it is not easy, but if you can do it, you can build a sweet custom tank for peanuts. Well worth the try in my book. If you do, I would recommend the momentive black 100 series rtv to glue the new panes together. Not just hardware store grade silicone.
How did cutting with the wet tile saw go? I don't believe there's many glass cutters around me and definitely none that i'm that close with (; but I sure do have a wet tile saw somewhere in the garage, if it works it may be a fun little project to attempt. If it doesn't oh well only out 75$

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wet tile saw works fantastic. I install tile regularly and have a large professional grade m-k saw that is designed to cut pavers. Few tips. Have a few people on hand to help feed the glass. Go stupid slow, like 30 seconds per inch. Take the time and build some jigging around the saw to keep the panes level and square to the blade. Water water water, if the pump can't throw enough water, spray a hose at the blade. Highly recommend a smooth diamond blade and not a notched one. And be darn sure the glass is not tempered. You can use polarized glasses or 3D glasses with an lcd screen to check, look on you tube. Wear safety glasses and thick rubber gloves. But most of all, have fun man and don't sweat it. If a shop can do it you can to as long as you take you time and do some research with the right tools. If you choose to try it, pm me to keep me posted and I'll try and help you as much as I can :) or throw a thread up here

Back