Craigslist Live Rock Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter adonegan15
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

adonegan15

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2016
Messages
31
Reaction score
15
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to purchase this live rock I found on Craigslist. 50 lbs. for $50. Still in running tank. Owner says it is Florida live rock he purchased a couple years ago. Take a look at the pic and let me know if you think it looks good and what I should be looking for or asking. I'm new and this will be going into my startup.
b94833b2806c572a8d64b961ed197d3d.jpg
 
$1/lbs isn't bad. I wouldn't stick in my tank, though. Not without cooking and curing them. You won't find dry rock any less than that either.
 
I don't know looking at it just looks like a rock to me. Like nothing special no caves or anything built in. Just be good base rock to build something out of. Different colors too. Offer him 35 see if he takes it. Tell him u found something better for a little bit more and don't wanna go any higher then 35. Just my opinion. Also did u see if there is anything bad on the rock? Aptasia or algea anything that will bring u pain in this hobby a month down the road?
 
Rock looks horrible for other live rock prices but hey, $1 per pound would keep me interested.
 
That tank looks like theres no water, and the blury glass makes it hard yo really see whats there for rock. but regardless of that, the price, or any other reply always take extra precaution with live rock from unknown source, not that you shouldnt take precautions with live rock in general but live rock is a fast way to import a headache if not careful.
 
Good base rock but would nuke it first
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new