Crappy calibration solution?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some Tropic Eden Salinity Calibration Solution so that I could check the accuracy of my refractometer (which is relatively new). The 0% solution reads fairly closely with 0 on the refractometer. The 35 solution, however, gives me SG of 1.017, a reading which seems to be bizarrely off. Thoughts?

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens more than some may think... I’ve had Neptune calibration fluid of 35 ppt reading at 19 before. Probably bad batch is what I can think of. I don’t know if fluids go bad in the sealed packages or not.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the correct link for a DIY that will work correctly every time. I recommend never buying calibration solution for a refractometer. Bad batches are way too common. They will also evaporate and throw the levels off. Salinity is way too important to risk. Personally I use the Hanna Salinity checker.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, no...my homemade calibration solution is showing up as a SG of 1.016!!! I used RO/DI for this solution, but I'd better make another batch to confirm. I can't believe this! I've tried snails for the past month after my Evo cycled, but they kept dying on me: this might be why. My macro is fine, but that poor hermit crab...

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometers, salinity probes, etc. can get off-calibration fairly quickly. In most cases, I would trust the solution, and calibrate my device to that, and re-calibrate monthly. It's rare to have a "bad" solution. Unless the packet or bottle is leaking and the H2O is evaporating. It's more common for salinity checkers to be off than it is for reference solutions to be bad.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, no...my homemade calibration solution is showing up as a SG of 1.016!!! I used RO/DI for this solution, but I'd better make another batch to confirm. I can't believe this! I've tried snails for the past month after my Evo cycled, but they kept dying on me: this might be why. My macro is fine, but that poor hermit crab...
I'd remake it and confirm. I got 2 bad bottles in a row. The vendor confirmed they were bad. I almost crashed my system. The DIY calibration is insanely easy to make and it works. RHF is a scientist and knows his stuff. If he says something about chemistry it is true.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some Tropic Eden Salinity Calibration Solution so that I could check the accuracy of my refractometer (which is relatively new). The 0% solution reads fairly closely with 0 on the refractometer. The 35 solution, however, gives me SG of 1.017, a reading which seems to be bizarrely off. Thoughts?
Make your own with Randy's recipe: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did! That’s how I ended up with the 1.016 reading, which is pretty close to the commercial solution reading of 1.017 with the 35ppt solution. I’m testing on some frags now, which closed up as soon as I put them in fresh seawater in my QT at 1.025 with my unadjusted refractometer reading. And caused my mushroom to shrivel up and expel mucus.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did! That’s how I ended up with the 1.016 reading, which is pretty close to the commercial solution reading of 1.017 with the 35ppt solution. I’m testing on some frags now, which closed up as soon as I put them in fresh seawater in my QT at 1.025 with my unadjusted refractometer reading. And caused my mushroom to shrivel up and expel mucus.
Sorry didn't see that, swing arm hydrometers are not very accurate. Is there a huge temp difference? Swing arms usually don't need temp correction but big temp differences could throw it off. A floating hydrometer like the tropic marin or a refractometer would be useful.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry didn't see that, swing arm hydrometers are not very accurate. Is there a huge temp difference? Swing arms usually don't need temp correction but big temp differences could throw it off. A floating hydrometer like the tropic marin or a refractometer would be useful.
I do have a refractometer, not a hydrometer.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What refractometer?

Some are designed for other materials like proteins in urine.
What the heck do you mean, what refractometer, I think to myself, as I review my Amazon purchases over the past few months. I've had tanks before! I know what I'm doing!
Oops.

Yup. I somehow managed to purchase a refractometer for BEER and I've been using that to mix my seawater.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read it through. I'm going to be kicking myself a LONG time over this one. How could I have done this? I spent so much time looking at different models, and tried to choose the best one! I was going to do it right this time! I would have been more productive making kombucha over the last ten weeks...ugh.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna salinity tester arrived today: all builds were between 44 and 47 ppt. I am just astounded that my Hallowe'en Hermit survived 1.035SG. Exactly how hardy are they?!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back