Crazy dorm room idea..

misrap354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear me out.. an idea came to me in my sleep I have the ability to sneak a 60 gallon cube into my dorm room
The footprint is only 24x24x24. What do you think of getting small 1-1.25 reef fish and growing em out in a copper prazi then full on QT till the end of the smester.. I will have my own place after it and plan on getting a 125 then. Whatcha think?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know while I was in college, a fish tank would have been the least of my worries.

All though I think your methodology is correct, I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle or extra responsibility while at school.

Again, I’m basing that off of my college experience.

OP
OP
M

misrap354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know while I was in college, a fish tank would have been the least of my worries.

All though I think your methodology is correct, I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle or extra responsibility while at school.

Again, I’m basing that off of my college experience.
I see where ur coming from I don’t have many friends here, I don’t party or go out, all I do is schoolwork go on walks workout and chill w my Pico reef in my room that’s why I was considering tbis as a much needed distraction

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hear me out.. an idea came to me in my sleep I have the ability to sneak a 60 gallon cube into my dorm room
The footprint is only 24x24x24. What do you think of getting small 1-1.25 reef fish and growing em out in a copper prazi then full on QT till the end of the smester.. I will have my own place after it and plan on getting a 125 then. Whatcha think?
On one hand if this is all your worried about sneaking you’re probably doing ok. On the other hand a qt period with copper and praxi doesn’t take that long. I would say just wait. The when is the end of the semester? Ps. It’s. Or like you’re going to have your 125 up and running at the end of the semester. So there is probably an advantage to just setting up both at the same time and when your 125 is cycled you can just put the fish in.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know your schedule better than anyone. If a tank will bring the happiness instead of all the other stuff, then a say go for it!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait!!! You have a pico reef and you haven't made a build thread or shared pictures?!?

Shocked What Is It GIF

OP
OP
M

misrap354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait!!! You have a pico reef and you haven't made a build thread or shared pictures?!?

Shocked What Is It GIF
When I feel confident enough for it to make its debut I’ll post it rn it’s just my true percs I got from Papa New Guinea in there! Trying to find corals for good price around me lol

OP
OP
M

misrap354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one hand if this is all your worried about sneaking you’re probably doing ok. On the other hand a qt period with copper and praxi doesn’t take that long. I would say just wait. The when is the end of the semester? Ps. It’s. Or like you’re going to have your 125 up and running at the end of the semester. So there is probably an advantage to just setting up both at the same time and when your 125 is cycled you can just put the fish in.
That’s fair. I was just thinking it would be safer to qt starting now and then after the copper prazi period so about 4-7 weeks ends let them grow out together so they’re used to eachother to provide some type of peace of mind they’ll transition to a big tank together well

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few weeks ago we dropped off our oldest son at his college and to me a 60 cube seems a bit large for college dorm. If it was me, I'd look at smaller AIO like a 29G bc sneaking in, I mean moving this would be a lot easier ;)

OP
OP
M

misrap354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few weeks ago we dropped off our oldest son at his college and to me a 60 cube seems a bit large for college dorm. If it was me, I'd look at smaller AIO like a 29G bc sneaking in, I mean moving this would be a lot easier ;)
I feel you! This footprint is 24x24! 2am sneaking in isn’t to hard hahaha especially with everyone focusing on all the party goers coming back wasted

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel you! This footprint is 24x24! 2am sneaking in isn’t to hard hahaha especially with everyone focusing on all the party goers coming back wasted
If you're planning on keeping them in an empty 60 gallon tank - with prazipro and Copper at some point - Great - and then keeping them in that empty tank - great - doing water changes all the time etc. I mean - (IMHO) - a 60 gallon QT tank is quite large - and if you're going to put rock, etc - in with copper and other medication - you're going to have a potential leaching problem later. No offense - except for impatience - I'm not sure what benefit either the fish or you will get - Plus - if you're caught - whats going to happen - you'll have to move them out. Again - not trying to criticise but you asked for opinions - and - going back to your OP title -Crazy dorm room ideas - are usually 'not a good idea'

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem if sneaking it in, then it’s not worth taking the chance of getting found out and jeopardizing your college career.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m there with u G do it!

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I wouldn't do it. Having lived in an apartment style dorm I barely had room for my desk let alone a 2x2 tank. Ive also been in dorms which are dual occupancy and those were even tighter with space. If you REALLY want a tank I recommend doing a pico/nano maybe 5-10gallon. Easy to take apart, WC is cheap and will most likely fix any situation and you can keep 1-2 small fish.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 10 gallon tank in my dorm room way back when. It was cool but a pain when extended breaks closed the dorms. I had to take it down and move it to a friend's house who lived in town.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back