Creating a hybrid LED/T5 light hanger using extruded aluminum

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a pair of Maxspect Ethereal LED's and recently decided I'd like to provide a boost by adding a pair of T5 HO fixtures. However my setup is a little unusual with a built in wall design and a small fishroom. Here was how I had my LED's mounted originally off of TV mounting brackets:

O0vp7N2h.jpg

I needed a suspended frame that would fit my LED's, provide something to mount two single bulb T5 fixtures, and allow me to raise or lower the setup as needed. I decided to utilize 80/20 extruded aluminum as a base for the frame (also called T-slot). If you are not familiar with this product, they market themselves as "the erector set for adults" and it is all that and more. I bought all my hardware and material through http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale at a reasonable price. 80/20 even has a CAD design program on their regular website you can download and play around with. All the hardware I purchased was stainless steel to avoid corrosion.

ulATVzHh.jpg

I also found a light suspension system that is used in horticulture applications. It utilizes plastic pulleys and nylon rope instead of cables which is ideal for over a marine tank.

Aa7VhCMh.jpg

Assembly was very simple and the extruded aluminum can be easily cut with a carbide tipped finish saw blade:

tta0Uvqh.jpg

M3SyeVZh.jpg

3SdQtyYh.jpg

The Maxspect Ethreal's have a flange around the perimeter that conveniently fit inside the slot and allow me to slide them back and forth for positioning.

oEuPCHRh.jpg

I added a cross brace to both hold the T5 fixture and to act as an attachment point for the lift system:

knz5zcqh.jpg

NynYVtJh.jpg

NGKcfOfh.jpg

UZMXTuch.jpg

YoGmquhh.jpg

I chose Sunpower single bulb T5 HO fixtures because of the price point. These are also designed for horticulture applications but they are not a sealed fixture like the reef brite. I came up with an unusual solution to help protect the bulb end and tombstone from any moisture. I used toe/finger protectors that are made from medical silicone which did a nice job of providing a snug fit:

DW2fLJ0h.jpg

IAiKRwTh.jpg

ttjsvO5h.jpg

The lift system itself was easy to install using a 1x4 attached to ceiling joists. The whole rig weighs less that 30 lbs. so I have more than enough support. The frame attaches to the lift system and once leveled, can be raised or lowered manually and maintains it's horizontal position.

lv4yCwEh.jpg

h8vxwzah.jpg

I used one Blue+ and one Coral+ ATI bulb and have them on a schedule managed by my RKL. I'll start them off an hour a day and slowly extend the photo period until around 6-8 hours. In the meantime, I'll back off my LED intensity by about 20% to hopefully help acclimate everything. Here's a shot with only the T5's, so it does add quite a bit of light and hopefully growth as well!

0c31j8Dh.jpg

Total expenditure excluding the bulbs themselves was around $200.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you available for hire ;) I want a T5 Hybrid for my Kessil AP700 but my wife would kill me if i spent another 280 on lighting lol but it looks good!!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a construction wizard! I think I might buy that lift as well and use it for my ATI fixture. I get tired of raising it with the metal zip chords supplied. I have bad shoulders already and holding the fixture while pushing it up isn't the most ideal situation. Great work!

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the ethereals and t5 worked out for you. I just added a blue+ to mine and thinking about adding another.

I have definately seen an impact on growth, so much so I've actually retrofitted the hanger to accomodate two additional T5HO fixtures. I have a Coral + and a Blue + on each side now and am running them for about 5 hours a day. The ethereal's are on for 8 hours with a ramp up and down period. So far I'm glad I put them on.

Oh, and for the record - that silicone sleeve I came up with to protect for moisture didn't last a week because of the heat from the lamp. :) So far no visible corrosion on the fixtures or bulbs, though.

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I’m running the same cheap fixture and have not see any issues with corrosion either. I’m going to consider 2 t5s in each side as well

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of these lights now
Galaxyhydro™ Led 55x3w Dimmable 165w Full Spectrum LED
5129lZvfNjL._SY90_.jpg

I was looking into this fixture by Aquatic Life 48" HYBRID T5HO 4X54W FIXTURE WITH LED MOUNTING SYSTEM
but they won't fit in it.
So I need a way to make one and what you did is just what I was looking for.
Where did you buy the T-5 lights?
Thx for posting nice work
Phil

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of these lights now
Galaxyhydro™ Led 55x3w Dimmable 165w Full Spectrum LED
5129lZvfNjL._SY90_.jpg

I was looking into this fixture by Aquatic Life 48" HYBRID T5HO 4X54W FIXTURE WITH LED MOUNTING SYSTEM
but they won't fit in it.
So I need a way to make one and what you did is just what I was looking for.
Where did you buy the T-5 lights?
Thx for posting nice work
Phil

Thanks, Phil. I bought everything I needed from the company's surplus site on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale

Good luck with the project!

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sierra_Bravo Nice reef and light mod. I have a AL hybrid and just run two bulbs all day, sometimes when i'm home early and feed the corals Ill switch on the other two. Btw The hanging system is slick
Speed junky, make a set of cross braces to accommodate your LED'S https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aquaticlife-hybrid-mod.342072/
Okay I'm confused lol not really I think. Like I said nice job and thx for the ebay site if I don't use it this time I probably will in the future
Siggy you say I can retrofit this fixture to fit my LED's
15.8 x 8.4 x 2.4 inches ?
I'm not an electrician but I do all my wiring around the house and I have a make shift set of LED moon lights hooked up now. Here are some pics of where I am at and what I was thinking and would like to do. I built the aquarium in the wall in 2007 when we remolded and it sat there for 8 years collecting dust until I retired. I will leave the sump and all that out of this post just the top.
So when I put it in the wall I knew nothing. Now after almost 3 yrs I need to change things so here's the plan I will have to take the wood work off the front and have a little fixing after but it's worth it. I will take the header that is right over the aquarium and move it up along with redoing the sides. Won't go into detail. But when done I want to have the Hybrid set up and the 2 moon lites hooked up.
I can do all the work and wiring but need help on the wiring as far as what I will need and the hook-up. The LED's I have just have the controls on the top and 2 cords for each.
I was interested at first because that was the main drawback that I saw for the AL fixture. IMG_6861.JPG IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6463.JPG

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spdjnky that is a beautiful setup! You have a lot of light there, I made that remark not knowing that you had a built in. the aquatic life hybrid is just 2 fixtures strapped together and if you look at my MOD I used the tie straps as a template
to make my own. good luck with your project!

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx I still have to go back and read your set up and see the final pic I didn't get that far as you know never expected to find what I need this morn and now I can plan things out.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. I'm planning out something similar for my new tank. I'm going to go with the wider extrusion with the smooth side to conceal all of the lights (T5s and Kessil AP700 (probably 2 :/ ). That will then be mounted to a vertical support on the side of the tank.

Thanks for their ebay site! That might save me some cash.

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the inside done over now need to make up my mind on the lights should I buy or make one like above? I'm so happy I have the whole top open. Wound up having to do the outside over to came out good but am going to bring the raised panel look on the botom too IMG_7279.JPG Now I have a nice mess IMG_7280.JPG

IMG_7263.JPG

Last edited:

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sierra_Bravo How's you set up working now? Do you still have the parts list for the frame that you could share? Also I don't have a controller but I use timers but as you can see the wires are a mess the LED"s have 2 cords each and then the T5's so cord management is a ***** Yours looks great in the one pic can't hardly see them.
Thx for any help you can give me on this project that I have to get done now that I started it.
How does your hanging system work as I want to be able to lift the whole fixture up when working in the tank.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back