AquaticLife Hybrid Mod

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All
When I first seen the T5 Hybrid I was currently considering adding just 2 T5's to supplement my 2
360's. My Wife is very particular and whatever I do would have to pass the sniff test and that meant a canopy and adding more Led's for coverage or all t5's. Well I enjoy the Kessel look like the a lot of you
so when the aquaticlife fixture popped up it was an instant solution on several fronts.
But I was still not satisfied with the lighting and control and later became aware of the cord issue,
as a licensed electrician I have seen numerous fixtures tilting and twisting due to power cords and have had to wrestle with the lot of them.
I also didn't like the control of 2 front or 2 back or all lighting option as well as 2 cords so I knew I would still have some work to do.
So this was my solution to that, as you will see I will have 1 cord and 2 switches, I will also rewire both ballast to facilitate front and back bulbs to switch 1 then both inside bulbs on switch 2.
At this time i'm halfway there and will update when I can during this busy time of the year. BTY
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Best of the Seasons too you.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the switches on amazon and aluminum online, it is 3/4" x 1 1/2" rectangle tube 1/8" wall.

20171130_082419.jpg

toggle.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I next used the side connecting bracket as a template to drill for fasteners, as you can see
I will be removing the light fixture end plates for wiring ease and will use those mounting holes to attach tubing. Then came the machining, I made a switch plate and cut a opening into the tubing and
tapped mounting holes. I plan on replacing fasteners with Stainless button heads.
Next up is sanding the tubes before finishing, they showed up in rough shape so more work, see the red Scotch Brite Pads that will remove metal and is awesome for finishing metals.
All you boaters know about Zinc chromate primer, it is the only thing that will bond to Aluminum that
I know of and does a fabulous job. I will post more pics and update at the wiring phase.
Enjoy the Season!

20171130_102147.jpg

20171205_114451.jpg

20171205_114441.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaticLifeProducts Dave, been a slow start on this but thanks for all the help and direction.

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I'm interested to see what you come up with. I have considered an external extrusion on the ends to cover the wire but you are decking this out with the switches. Following along.

I have been talking with a few customers and what their wish was for the cords and I get mixed answers. So just gathering information and ideas for improvement.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been talking with a few customers and what their wish was for the cords and I get mixed answers. So just gathering information and ideas for improvement.
I thought about this when the folks started chiming in about using extension cords, You could put a receptacle in each fixture and use something like a "twofer" and that would be a simple modification but would still mean
Right & Left hand fixtures. I believe these come in 12' also.
20171207_081712.jpg

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think water splashing would be a problem? We have seen some pretty heavy salt creep on fixtures in our day. Another option was to use a sealed threaded connector between the fixtures and then a single power cord out the back. The only concern with that is some may want to keep two power cords for more control. We will keep working on it though.

I started working on a decorative end plate cover for better looking wire management, this week. Will send you photos as it progresses.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think water splashing would be a problem? We have seen some pretty heavy salt creep on fixtures in our day. Another option was to use a sealed threaded connector between the fixtures and then a single power cord out the back. The only concern with that is some may want to keep two power cords for more control. We will keep working on it though.
I started working on a decorative end plate cover for better looking wire management, this week. Will send you photos as it progresses.

A threaded connection with a "O" ring like I see in other fixtures would be welcomed. If a reefer gets salt creep or spray 8 or more inches above their tank they have bigger problems, I'm sure as a manufacturer you have to plan for everything.
I like the Jumper idea and was pondering that, each fixture have the same cord connector into a common jbox also have a small connector to add lunar led's , then a power/control cable to my future apex/controller.
Of course 1 fixture could be that j-box with rocker-sw on the face ........that would be the TICKET!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I forgot to mention the relay boards. the one is only .5" tall, was going to stuff that into the aluminum tubing for remote switching but @ this point I just want to get lights on. Here are some pic's . We all like those!
thin relay.jpg relaypcb.jpg 20171213_091950.jpg
Hey folks this is the best hole-saw kit you can get, they are Carbide tooth and will give you a machine finished hole ( no more Shattered Acrylic ) Yes I forgot to machine wiring access holes for the fixtures so i will holesaw.
Also that's the zinc primer before the Flat black that i'm going to use,

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started a few new projects with Hybrid this past week. One is a decorative channel similar to what you are doing, but we kept for now the two bulbs per fixture on the same cord.

I like the Wi-Fi relay. Maybe I should be looking at Wi-Fi dimming? Do you think the extra cost in the ballast and connections would be acceptable or would people rather have the LED function as the dimming and the T5 for more support only and keep the cost down?

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked the master/slave idea with a single cord switched and Wi-Fi on-off and an accessory Lunar on wifi would be popular. If you did dimmable I think that would put the cost even higher. Would most select number of bulbs on or dimmable option?
Currently this is a hit, I don't think I have seen this type of enthusiasm from the BRS folks on any other item, keep it the same, spec. longer cords ( pass the slight cost on ) and that problem is solved then start developing a premium line of fixtures....You build it and they will come.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool mod... What are are your plans on the ends of the rectangle AL tubing? Will you leave it open or fill that gap somehow? Maybe some sort of cap?

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started a few new projects with Hybrid this past week. One is a decorative channel similar to what you are doing, but we kept for now the two bulbs per fixture on the same cord.

I like the Wi-Fi relay. Maybe I should be looking at Wi-Fi dimming? Do you think the extra cost in the ballast and connections would be acceptable or would people rather have the LED function as the dimming and the T5 for more support only and keep the cost down?
Will any of the things you guys are working on to clean up the fixture be upgradable to the currently released fixtures? I have mine on order through MD.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool mod... What are are your plans on the ends of the rectangle AL tubing? Will you leave it open or fill that gap somehow? Maybe some sort of cap?
Funny you mention that, the end caps arrived yesterday on the slow boat from china, they are a little big most likely intended for a thin wall tube, so i quickly ground the fins and they fit. I will use a razor and trim down
during final assembly. The second pic is a prototype I'm working on .5" polycarb carcass with Integral controls.

. 20171214_162716.jpg 20171214_162653.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Hope your Holidays are going smooth, been busy leading up to Christmas, I have some down time between the holidays so I hope to have this done before the New year.
Well im painting today. I tried to find a textured flat black, no luck so I am going with a textured Bronze metallic it should hide the defects in the aluminum stock and I like the look.
I used some industrial black that I did have as a base coat then sanded with #320 & cleaned with alcohol wipes before top coat.
BYW this paint is nice to work with, tall narrow pattern with a fast flow rate, will definitely be using more of this.
20171227_101656.jpg 20171227_101702.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wiring the control today and got around to ordering the stainless fasteners, my plans for going out and getting locally has been dashed by my youngest daughters car so i'll be spending the weekend on that. and assembly next week.

20171229_170855.jpg

20171229_152233.jpg

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome!!! I just picked up this hybrid setup and agree wire management and bulb control needs this upgrade!

Back