OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A slightly taller fixture would help to conceal the leds in some cases but i don't think the addition of the fan would bump it up all that much, I noticed the isolated issue above was at the bulb Hot-Spot and a fan would be a benefit especially if you took design cues from others:D if possible

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
When we reviewed the design in the very beginning we looked at fans and the splash guards. The thinnest T5HO fixture we found was 2.1". The current unit is 1 3/8" so it would increase some but not much.

I will have to explore this option and see, maybe a deluxe version with the dimming T5 ballast too.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need some fish or something in this dry thread....this was a local amature photographer in my area took this wednesday ......just thought to share. BTY -7 this morning.
eagle.jpg
St Clair river Michigan

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel in a lot of ways AquaticLife could of done this or that , to make it a better fixture, with switches a single cord etc .. but I truly have to appreciate and applaud them for creating the only fixture like this on the market. And for truly using the KISS method on this light fixture. I personally prefer a thinner looking fixture over ones with fans or a single cord . There are ways to make it the way you want it , like what I have done. And I feel one just needs to be creative , with it . Thank you AquaticLife for creating the only true do it your self T5/ LED ! So I feel like I just had to put my two cents in and sorry for my rant ..

scotturban54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel in a lot of ways AquaticLife could of done this or that , to make it a better fixture, with switches a single cord etc .. but I truly have to appreciate and applaud them for creating the only fixture like this on the market. And for truly using the KISS method on this light fixture. I personally prefer a thinner looking fixture over ones with fans or a single cord . There are ways to make it the way you want it , like what I have done. And I feel one just needs to be creative , with it . Thank you AquaticLife for creating the only true do it your self T5/ LED ! So I feel like I just had to put my two cents in and sorry for my rant ..

I also bought the 48” fixture a while back and have not unboxed it yet, I was attracted to the slim profile and ease of use. T5 known for beeing a fool proof set up, this implementation is as fool proof as possible without the added switches to go bad, fans to get loud over time, etc...

I don’t know if I would have or not bought a dimmable single cable version for 100 or 200 more.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought the 48” fixture a while back and have not unboxed it yet, I was attracted to the slim profile and ease of use. T5 known for beeing a fool proof set up, this implementation is as fool proof as possible without the added switches to go bad, fans to get loud over time, etc...

I don’t know if I would have or not bought a dimmable single cable version for 100 or 200 more.

I feel the same way scotturban54! I think the price is good for all the fixtures ! I just don’t know by adding say a fans, or switch’s, I sure would raise the price . I think if it was a single power cord I might have spent the extra money.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for bringing your views. I had begin to notice this starting to turn into something other than intended..... That is not what I set out to do...... I simply wish to run 1 bulb in the front and 1 in the back
to reduce the shadowing effect without overpowering the look of my Kessils or XR's and do that without having to plug and unplug power cables to turn on/off.

This fixture Is a tremendous success as it is! and I believe I have said that, I also stated a need for a premium fixture as well, because SOMEONE IS making one, and I will purchase one, and so will those who prefer Ecotec over jebao.

This isn't the only Hybrid but it is the only one that allows you to use your existing LED'S and others will take notice.
bigweld.jpg Great Movie!

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I absolutely love about this fixture is the price. $300 for the 4 foot unit. I don’t like the cord management at all but anything else I can deal with.

I like some of the additions people are suggesting but if it increases the price by $100 or more then it wouldn’t be attractive to me.

I recommended this fixture to 4 people who purchased it and one of the reasons is the price. They have been hearing about the benefits of T5 but they’ve already invested in Kessils or other Leds. For $300 or less the fixture doesn’t cost too much.

So @AquaticLife listen to the suggestions here but remember the average hobbyists, price is a major factor in their decisions.

@ReefingwithO & @pelphrey How are you guys turning your lights on and off? Apex? timer? also do you have to dim your LEDS while running both T5 fixtures

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Kessils and t5’s controlled by apex. Kessils come on shortly after 9am. Ramp up for 1.5 hours. T5’s come on at noon off at 6. Kessils tank down and off by 9pm. Lunar lights come on at 9 and stay on until 10, hen follow the Neptune lunar table. Same as O’s!

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your schedules gentlemen. I'm still curious how those without a controller are switching. I started gathering materials for my Apex board but I have to get this done and a mounting system, I currently have
2 360's using the hard AP700 mounts and just thinking to use them with a stand mounted extension/support, Then on to the apex.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked Kessils website, the problem now is how to mount to the back of a tank that is full of water? Will see:cool:
KessilExtensionMnt.jpg mountbase.jpg 90-drill.jpg 20180109_100850 (1).jpg
Maybe maybe not, bty I have an open back stand. I could drill from the inside and tru bolt but that means sump removal and several holes in the top and bottom cross brace/support, I could screw into the back with a 90 % adaptor or drill? so this last one is worth looking into, the clamp is modular to allow clamping to different orientations. Now @AquaticLifeProducts is coming out with a New mounting system and of course " there is nothing like the real thing" so I will think on it a little and see what happens.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey Thanks for the resource, Those power cords are the ticket for this set-up

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 8020. Mounted it to a 1x4 I believe. Didn't drill into the stand at all. Easily adjustable and can remove it if I need to.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey Nice video! I like the adjustable surface mount for the tubes, And may do something like this but ultimately The BOSS will decide ,as it is she's not thrilled with what we have now her biggest ich is seeing all the cables. I see in the next list of videos your hybrid conversion gonna check it out!

Pelphrey's Hybrid video

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fasteners came in, I wired and assembled last night. The #4-40 x 1.5" worked nice without having to tap the extrusion.
20180111_193635.jpg
20180111_195512.jpg
The Paint is a good look. I even thought about painting the fixtures

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temped in the power cord to test everything and realized where do I want the cord to go in at? I'm thinking inside center, so I can chase with the led cables. Well as you can see....I have my 1&1 lighting option On independent switches so now I can choose which bulbs/look I want to run.
Thinking about this now is that when I get this on Apex, Will the breakout box handel the current of a single ballast so if I run a 4/wire cable for power I can separate later and use The BOB to control, If not a relay will do.
20180111_210637.jpg

Back