Creating your own ceramic frag rocks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MikeyZo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MikeyZo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2025
Messages
851
Reaction score
1,460
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a HS art teacher and as such, has access to a massive kiln. Has anyone ever tried making their own frag rocks for their tank? If so, what do you use that’s reef safe?
 
I haven't done this with ceramics but I made the majority of the rocks in my current and previous tanks using aragonite sand and Portland Cement. The process is called Aragocrete.
 
image.jpg
 
I haven't done this with ceramics but I made the majority of the rocks in my current and previous tanks using aragonite sand and Portland Cement. The process is called Aragocrete.
Does that need to be kiln dried or just cured on its own? Do you need to do anything else to it or is it reef safe from the get go?
 
Does that need to be kiln dried or just cured on its own? Do you need to do anything else to it or is it reef safe from the get go?
It needs to be cured. There are several walk-throughs online for it. I have a thread I started on here.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aragocrete-egg-crate-hybrid-diy-frag-racka.976153/
I have a "normal" walk-through on my old build thread, this one is for racks made with Aragocrete and egg crate but the process of making Aragocrete is still the same.

You make it, let it dry for 24-48 hours, soak in freshwater with changes until pH stops rising/spiking, and then you can either plop it in your tank or soak it in aged saltwater to get some bacteria and pods started.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new