Creature from the deep.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So earlier tonight I was looking checking out my small 5 gal refugium/ sump under my tank and noticed this bright red smoosh on the glass. Using the light and camera on my phone I was able to get a better view of what it was. It was a small sail with a blood red body and jet black shell. It was in the same location as an emerald crab, that towered over the snail. Any ideas of what it is???? I'm not to worried about it getting into my display and will probably keep it in the sump. Just curious is all.
20240104_212354.jpg
20240104_212229.jpg
20240104_212044.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a "Horse Conch," but pics of the top of the shell could help tell for sure:
Given the shape and the red foot, it’s probably a “horse conch.” It’s important to note with horse conches that 1) they’re not actually conches - they’re very large predatory snails, and 2) they can grow to two feet in length.
The snail is likely a young horse conch - these are actually massive, predatory snails (they're really cool, but they will eat your other snails, clams, etc. - basically any gastropods would be in danger). The red foot is an incredibly distinctive feature, and the only other snails I know of from Florida with red feet (Peristernia spp.) are also predatory (though these guys are much smaller than horse conchs). So, even if the snails are not horse conchs (which they most likely are), you still probably wouldn't want them in your tank. They could make a really interesting addition to a sump or a predatory snail tank dedicated to keeping them though.

Edit: I meant to say mollusks, not gastropods (though gastropods are a kind of mollusk).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back