what the heck Is That?

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the tonight game of what the heck Is That?!

I'd like to welcome back our contestants to the game. And as well all know tonight prize is?..... Well nothing, but bragging rights LOL

So found these odd yellow creatures in my sump tonight while doing a water change. Now when I tossed that dead bi-valve into my sump ( less then 4-6 months ago) this guys weren't there, or if they where they where very small. Both have a hard calcium shell, that are somewhat circular with spine like off shoots. Both are yellow, but one fades into a maroon reddish color. They are roughly a half inch in diameter. I'm thinking they are either some kind of bi-valve or barnacle??

20240121_181326.jpg
20240121_181357.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome back to the tonight game of what the heck Is That?!

I'd like to welcome back our contestants to the game. And as well all know tonight prize is?..... Well nothing, but bragging rights LOL

So found these odd yellow creatures in my sump tonight while doing a water change. Now when I tossed that dead bi-valve into my sump ( less then 4-6 months ago) this guys weren't there, or if they where they where very small. Both have a hard calcium shell, that are somewhat circular with spine like off shoots. Both are yellow, but one fades into a maroon reddish color. They are roughly a half inch in diameter. I'm thinking they are either some kind of bi-valve or barnacle??

20240121_181326.jpg
20240121_181357.jpg
These are indeed Bivalves and are seen often amongst zoa and coral. They are filter feeders and often not long lived and some call them clams but theyre actually a member of the scallop grouping

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back