Creeping Alk. Should i continue to watch?

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, in my 200xl I am dosing A4R. On a doser, 10ml per day. Only a couple small corals. I've been dosing well over a month now and everything is stable except, Alk. Today it tested at 11.4. I'm aware I'm still in a safe range but will this continue to rise, should I lower the dose rate some? It's taken sever weeks to get from the 9.8 I was hovering at to here. Mag fluctuates some but that could be me. All tests via red sea except po4 which is Hanna.

Calc 450 and stable for weeks
Mag between 1300 and 1400
Ph 8.2
No3 10
Po4 .12

Thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like simple overdosing? Am I missing something?

You will not detect the slow calcium rise (less than 1 ppm per day) or super slow magnesium rise (less than 0.1 ppm per day) from overdosing, say, 0.1 dKH per day.

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like simple overdosing? Am I missing something?

You will not detect the slow calcium rise (less than 1 ppm per day) or super slow magnesium rise (less than 0.01 ppm per day) from overdosing, say, 0.1 dKH per day.
My apologies, I shortened it my my original post to a4r, I'm using All for reef. Which Is why I was curious that Alk was rising. But Mag wasn't. I just imagined that Calc and mag would be creeping up with it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies, I shortened it my my original post to a4r, I'm using All for reef. Which Is why I was curious that Alk was rising. But Mag wasn't. I just imagined that Calc and mag would be creeping up with it.

They are probably "rising", but you cannot detect the expect rise of those at the level of alk rise you are reporting. :)

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've seen a 1.6dKH rise over several weeks.

1.6dKH rise would have a corresponding 11ppm Calcium rise. Most Ca test kits aren't that accurate.

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I just did a weekly 10% WC and backed the A4R from 10ml to 7ml daily. I'll see what alk looks like in a few days. I for some reason expected more rise in other parameters.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back