critique my hypo qt plan

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might be receiving a wholesale fish order this next week and am trying to plan out my qt process. I read through some of the qt thread posted by #HotRocks and am thinking of using some of his suggestions along with going hypo instead of using copper. I am thinking of getting a majestic and emperor angel which from what I am reading are not very tolerant to copper. I am thinking of then starting with hypo and feeding his recommended food with gc, focus, selcon, and garlic. After 14 days move the fish to another tank still running hypo but do two treatments of prazi or gc. First off is the prazi and gc ok with hypo? does this sound like a good plan or should I just do the copper and see how the angels do with it?
thanks
Jeff

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 14 days move the fish to another tank still running hypo but do two treatments of prazi or gc. First off is the prazi and gc ok with hypo?
I just asked a similar question last week, was told that prazi and hypo is basically redundant. And that General Cure is fine in hypo.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo will be fine in Copper, In my experience. Emperor Angel, I have had a bit of trouble with copper, and almost always get Lympho.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the origins of the Majestic and Emperor? I now only acquire these from Australia (or East Africa for Emperors). They cost more, but the survivorship is so much better than "grade B" fish from Jakarta or Manila. Be aware that some people are reporting lower quality fish coming in now due to the supply chain growing longer because of Covid.

When you say "hypo", what is your planned limits? Big angels often come through the wholesalers and pick up Neobenedenia flukes. To treat that, you need to run hypo a specific way. Here is an excerpt from my upcoming fish disease book on that:

Barrett L. Christie, a public aquarium curator, has researched a variety of treatment methods and has struck upon one that is highly effective. The treatment is relatively simple; in a quarantine system, the fish are exposed to hyposalinity (low salinity) for 35 days. Exactly how low of a salinity is the variable that needs to be controlled. Some species of fish do not tolerate lower salinities, yet if the salinity is not reduced enough, the parasite population is only reduced, not eradicated. Barrett has hit upon a workable value of 17 parts per thousand, a bit less than half the salinity of normal seawater (this equates to a specific gravity of around 1.013). Obviously, most invertebrates cannot be present during this sort of treatment. Sharks and some rays cannot tolerate it either. Assuming the fish are healthy in all other respects, you begin this treatment by lowering the salinity to the target value over 24 to 48 hours. During the low salinity treatment, water quality must be monitored closely, especially pH. Be aware that some other diseases, notably Uronema and Amyloodinium thrive at lower salinities. Luckily, another common scourge, marine ich, Cryptocaryon irritans, is also inhibited by low salinity. After 35 days, the salinity is gradually raised back to normal. It is imperative to perform this change back to normal seawater very slowly. While marine fish tolerate a drop in salinity very well, their kidneys have more difficulty adjusting as the salinity is raised. Never return fish to normal salinity faster than 72 hours, and don’t make large changes at one time.

Jay

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know the origins of the Majestic and Emperor? I now only acquire these from Australia (or East Africa for Emperors). They cost more, but the survivorship is so much better than "grade B" fish from Jakarta or Manila. Be aware that some people are reporting lower quality fish coming in now due to the supply chain growing longer because of Covid.

When you say "hypo", what is your planned limits? Big angels often come through the wholesalers and pick up Neobenedenia flukes. To treat that, you need to run hypo a specific way. Here is an excerpt from my upcoming fish disease book on that:

Barrett L. Christie, a public aquarium curator, has researched a variety of treatment methods and has struck upon one that is highly effective. The treatment is relatively simple; in a quarantine system, the fish are exposed to hyposalinity (low salinity) for 35 days. Exactly how low of a salinity is the variable that needs to be controlled. Some species of fish do not tolerate lower salinities, yet if the salinity is not reduced enough, the parasite population is only reduced, not eradicated. Barrett has hit upon a workable value of 17 parts per thousand, a bit less than half the salinity of normal seawater (this equates to a specific gravity of around 1.013). Obviously, most invertebrates cannot be present during this sort of treatment. Sharks and some rays cannot tolerate it either. Assuming the fish are healthy in all other respects, you begin this treatment by lowering the salinity to the target value over 24 to 48 hours. During the low salinity treatment, water quality must be monitored closely, especially pH. Be aware that some other diseases, notably Uronema and Amyloodinium thrive at lower salinities. Luckily, another common scourge, marine ich, Cryptocaryon irritans, is also inhibited by low salinity. After 35 days, the salinity is gradually raised back to normal. It is imperative to perform this change back to normal seawater very slowly. While marine fish tolerate a drop in salinity very well, their kidneys have more difficulty adjusting as the salinity is raised. Never return fish to normal salinity faster than 72 hours, and don’t make large changes at one time.

Jay
The majestic is labeled as indo but don’t know the origin of the emperor. From all the reading I have done and performed is running salinity at 1.009
My issue with it before is like you mentioned is watching ph. It runs high not low like I would expect. With the costs of the angels I want to do it right.
Thanks
Jeff

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majestic is labeled as indo but don’t know the origin of the emperor. From all the reading I have done and performed is running salinity at 1.009
My issue with it before is like you mentioned is watching ph. It runs high not low like I would expect. With the costs of the angels I want to do it right.
Thanks
Jeff

Just be aware that 1.009 is low enough to cause a bloom in Uronema, so watch for that.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the signs to look for? Coloration in the belly? Or is there a variety of symptoms that can point to it?

Typically, rapid breathing and then the development of the classic red lesions with loose scales. Looks a lot like bacterial infections, and in fact, mixed infections are pretty common.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will the 1.013 kill off ich? What hypo salinity level do you recommend
Thanks
Jeff
Typically, I would go down to 1.011 for good control of Cryptocaryon with fewer unwanted side affects, but Uronema can still be an issue. Watch the pH during hypo, and remove any fish waste or uneaten food promptly( Uronema can feed on the bacteria that feeds on waste).
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back