ich advice-copper or hypo?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't follow my own advice and skipped QT because I trusted the fellow reefer who said he had the fish for years no problems. Anyways I have an ich breakout. The blue tang I bought brough it and both my copperband and yellow longnose have it so far. No signs on my clowns or dwarf angels. I was wondering which is the least stressful method for fish hypo or copper and the most fool proof? Leaning towards hypo. I read Jay's hypo thread but can't find a hydrometer online that is for water. Everything says heavier than water. Anyone know where to get one? I have a refractometer right now. All my fish are at least 4 years with me except this new tang so healthy good eaters. Thanks

@Jay Hemdal ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hypo can stress certain fish and best is coppersafe. Assume all fish have something whether pre-owned or even quarantined already. Other fish too may be exposed. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't follow my own advice and skipped QT because I trusted the fellow reefer who said he had the fish for years no problems. Anyways I have an ich breakout. The blue tang I bought brough it and both my copperband and yellow longnose have it so far. No signs on my clowns or dwarf angels. I was wondering which is the least stressful method for fish hypo or copper and the most fool proof? Leaning towards hypo. I read Jay's hypo thread but can't find a hydrometer online that is for water. Everything says heavier than water. Anyone know where to get one? I have a refractometer right now. All my fish are at least 4 years with me except this new tang so healthy good eaters. Thanks

@Jay Hemdal ?

If you plan to have invertebrates in the tank with the fish that now have ich, hyposalinity would be best, as then you don't have to deal with residual copper removal. If that tank is only going to ever have fish in it, coppersafe or copper power would be best to use, easier and more effective.

I've used this hydrometer for hyposalinity:

It is best to also use your refractometer and compare results, just to try and improve the overall accuracy.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

@Jay Hemdal ?
You want to use your refractometer - to a specific gravity of 1.009. Additionally, all of your fish will need to be treated (not just the sick ones)

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to have invertebrates in the tank with the fish that now have ich, hyposalinity would be best, as then you don't have to deal with residual copper removal. If that tank is only going to ever have fish in it, coppersafe or copper power would be best to use, easier and more effective.

I've used this hydrometer for hyposalinity:

It is best to also use your refractometer and compare results, just to try and improve the overall accuracy.

Jay

Thank you. I ordered copper power last night so great to hear that. I do have inverts, some anemones so I've got some fish to catch and separate.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo can stress certain fish and best is coppersafe. Assume all fish have something whether pre-owned or even quarantined already. Other fish too may be exposed. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Thanks. Got a long day ahead of me. About to get wet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back