Critique RockWork

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the toughest part for me.

This is about 400 lbs. I like the layout but not sure how scalable it is for a SPS tank. My GF hates it. She wants caves everywhere but it is hard with big marco rock. What would you change?

Thanks

rockwork1.jpg

rockwork2.jpg

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's terrible but you may want to take a few pieces out to give the sticks room to grow, really depends on the look you're going for.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! Can you get a side shot? it's hard to see the depth and detail. Also maybe a top down! :)

redemer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to order a bunch of marco rocks cement stuff for bonding rocks, then you can get real crazy with the aquascaping because that stuff holds, and i mean holds. Caves, arches you name it, it can be done

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this is the final release. I have 4 medium size live rock from my 125 that will seed the dead rock. I plan on cementing it tomorrow. Please let me know what you think. Oh BTW this is about 500 LbS of rock.

rockwork3.jpg

rockwork4.jpg

rockwork5.jpg

rockwork6.jpg

rockwork7.jpg

rockwork8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

marlinman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck of a lot of rock, i would go with a little less actually, im partial to my mound with an isolated pillar scape, but still nice

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What look are you going for? I'm fond of the open look, with less rock. If you feel like it, you can break some of those rocks apart, then cement together the smaller chunks to form whatever you want. Will take more time, but I think you'll like it better.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree that it's a bit much (rock that is). You have a gorgeous tank and stand and the only thing I see is rock. It draws your eye away from the rest of the setup. And I'm afraid that even once corals go in, the rockwork will be the dominant feature still. But it only matters what looks good to you. We all have our preferences and I prefer a more open look. This gives fish room to swim, corals room to grow (up and out), and a place for flow to keep detritus suspended in the water column. It just depends on what you are going for. If you are going for something unique / open, I would rethink and tinker with it a bit more. If you are going for the "rock wall" look, then the layout is fine.

You could (as Jacko mentioned) break apart some of the rock and create islands, caves, etc. But it's up to you. That is my honest assessment. Aquascaping is one of the most difficult things to get right. Just remember, you will be the one obsessing about it, not us.....lol.

Have fun with it though.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial impression is that it's a bit too much rock. If it were me I wouldn't go much further than up to the midpoint of the tank.

It really depends on what you're going for though, aquascaping is mainly a matter of personal preference.

I once had tall pillar rockwork, it ended up that I didn't have a whole lot of room to place corals. It looked freaking awesome and I loved it but coral placement was an absolute nightmare.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with what everyone has said it looks really nice but, too much rock
i would def drop the height to leave room for growth and open up some negative space, not all the peaks and valleys have to be the same height
also i like to keep the bottom open - a little planning can really open up the space under the rock for flow under the rock and that could create the caves and arches your gf wants - that one on the right side is pretty cool
but having fun is what scaping is all about - do what you like and it'll be fine

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and formost, it's your tank so your personal preferences should win over everyone else's opinion...

My opinion follows the others that there is just too much. I had my rock like this when I first set up my 75G. I had issues with flow and removal of "junk" that gets behind and within the rockwork. I opted for a more open structure this time around with a cave on the left and a shorter pillar on the right. It left more room for my fish to swim and for my corals to grow.

FishBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of "less is more" here is about 160# of rock in my 180. Plenty of hiding places, TONS of negative space, makes the tank look even bigger, and the fish love all the open/closed areas to cruise around/in/over/under/thru.

834701ee.jpg

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of pillars and room for the fish to swim. You can also add magnetic frag stations/shelves on the back wall to give the appearance of more rock, but less actually in the tank.

The Alternative Reef bottom of the page.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All - I want to say thank you so much for you feed back. You comments helped me come up with a better design which is about 150lbs less. With the feedback I:

Leveraged the back wall more
Created more Caves
Lowered it slightly half of the tank.
Created a stadium effect
Created more peeks for the SPS Corals.

Please let me know what you think now and what you would change. I sincerly appriciate your feedback.

Thanks

rockwork10.jpg

rockwork11.jpg

rockwork12.jpg

rockwork13.jpg

rockwork14.jpg

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I have to say major improvement in my eyes.

I would personally make only small modifications. Remove the small rocks connecting the main structures along the back wall. It will open it up a little more and let the structures themselves stand out more.

FishBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still being so full of rocks, the scaping looks stellar now if that's the look you are going for. I would recommend one thing, assume along the way you'll pick up a few corals already attached to decent size rocks, and plan for those additions now, rather than having to scape more later. I'd intentionally pull a few rocks and leave a couple pockets for future rock additions.

Cuong L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks much better. Still a little heavy for me because it takes up approx 40% of you tank. If you fill it up with corals, you may end up with less fish room. Overall looks great!!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of progress!
I was wondering why you are setting it up to be so symmetrical? I almost looks like you have a mirror in the middle.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good, it looks like you have a range for different height placements for SPS. I would raise up the right side, or the left side a bit smaller so that way it doesnt have that level look to the three tops.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back