critque my stocking list

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up a 200 gallon FOWLR yes i know fish only ...but I have been wanting a butterfly dominate sytem for a decade + now

tank in the IM 200 peninsula coming in at 70.9L x 30"W X 21.7 it a bit shorter in lenth then I would like for a fish only but makes up for it being 30' wide.

anyway the tank will be name butterflies angels and tangs oh my...
and here is my 1st draft stocking list.

large angel
Regal angelfish
or
Blue Girdled Angelfish

Dwarf angels:
Flame
Coral Beauty
Bicolor
(all introduced at the same time )

Large wrasse:
Harlequin Tusk

maybe 1-2 smaller wrasses

Large tang:
Blue/regal Tang
OR
Naso Tang

smaller tang
1 zerbasoma

Butterflies:
Copperband
Yellow Longnose
Pearlscale
Latticed
Saddleback?
Sunset
Raccoon

filtration will be filter floss, skimmer, fuge, UV and ozone sump will be 75 gallon water volume IM new 50" sump guess around 240ish system water volume.

open to suggestion and thoughts
cheers

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up a 200 gallon FOWLR yes i know fish only ...but I have been wanting a butterfly dominate sytem for a decade + now

tank in the IM 200 peninsula coming in at 70.9L x 30"W X 21.7 it a bit shorter in lenth then I would like for a fish only but makes up for it being 30' wide.

anyway the tank will be name butterflies angels and tangs oh my...
and here is my 1st draft stocking list.

large angel
Regal angelfish
or
Blue Girdled Angelfish

Dwarf angels:
Flame
Coral Beauty
Bicolor

Large wrasse:
Harlequin Tusk

Large tang:
Blue/regal Tang
OR
Naso Tang

smaller tang
1 zerbasoma

Butterflies:
Copperband
Yellow Longnose
Pearlscale
Latticed
Saddleback?
Sunset
Raccoon

filtration will be filter floss, skimmer, fuge, UV and ozone sump will be 75 gallon water volume IM new 50" sump guess around 240ish system water volume.

open to suggestion and thoughts
cheers

Looking forward to seeing this up and running. FOWLRs are wonderful!

...but I wouldn't put both a flame and coral beauty into same 200 gallon system...

I'm partial to regal angels, so I'd go with that over blue girdled angel

also partial to blue tang so I'd go with that over naso tang

also wouldn't do a zerbasoma with copperband ... their stripes are SO similar and I didn't realize it until 3 weeks into acclimation box body slams were still not letting up... unless you mean a yellow tang... in which case just get good at acclimation box method - using magnets to introduce new fish into all territories/areas of tank (high/low/middle/left/right/...)
Sailfin trying to kill CBB 2021-07-04.JPG

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this up and running. FOWLRs are wonderful!

...but I wouldn't put both a flame and coral beauty into same 200 gallon system...

I'm partial to regal angels, so I'd go with that over blue girdled angel

also partial to blue tang so I'd go with that over naso tang

also wouldn't do a zerbasoma with copperband ... their stripes are SO similar and I didn't realize it until 3 weeks into acclimation box body slams were still not letting up... unless you mean a yellow tang... in which case just get good at acclimation box method - using magnets to introduce new fish into all territories/areas of tank (high/low/middle/left/right/...)
Sailfin trying to kill CBB 2021-07-04.JPG

thanks for the replay. hope to get some feed back and start a nice convo.
I have the same accumulation box from octo the big one so I should be good there.

I fancy the regal angel too. but I hear there hard to get eating? anyone have some pro tips on keep a regal angel?

love the look on the "hippo" tang over the naso prob. will go with that one. but I do like nano too and i think there less prob to ich?

so do you think the flame and bi color is ok? sure would like 3 dwarf angels in there. in there a better choice than the coral beauty?

for the smaller Tang I was thinking purple,yellow or kole tang.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replay. hope to get some feed back and start a nice convo.
I have the same accumulation box from octo the big one so I should be good there.

I fancy the regal angel too. but I hear there hard to get eating? anyone have some pro tips on keep a regal angel?

love the look on the "hippo" tang over the naso prob. will go with that one. but I do like nano too and i think there less prob to ich?

so do you think the flame and bi color is ok? sure would like 3 dwarf angels in there. in there a better choice than the coral beauty?

for the smaller Tang I was thinking purple,yellow or kole tang.

healthy fish are less likely to have ich.

I am old school and feel a neon blue goby goes with every tank having tang(s)... not that a neon blue goby will clean ich but I feel it helps the tang feel like its getting manicure/pedicure and so helps with overall happiness of tang (and other fish). Don't get two neon blue gobies in the same tank - this super peaceful fish rarely gets along with another of its species.

I'm also partial to yellow tangs... though mine is a death dealer...

I'm partial to flame angels, so I'd pick a flame angel over coral beauty BUT coral beauty is more likely to eat algae than flame... but red wins over purple in my book... and full disclosure my flame is part of my death dealer squad...

here's a thought... mated pair of dwarf angels... or try finding male and female. It used to be only female flames came in.... now that I'm back in hobby it seems only male flames come in... but if your patient and have a LFS that can work with you, you may be lucky... and if you can get the female and male to mate up once you get them... that's worth some money! This store tracks down some of these fish, and occasionally may get mated pairs (but cheaper to get sexes individually). Ask for Lee:

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
healthy fish are less likely to have ich.

I am old school and feel a neon blue goby goes with every tank having tang(s)... not that a neon blue goby will clean ich but I feel it helps the tang feel like its getting manicure/pedicure and so helps with overall happiness of tang (and other fish). Don't get two neon blue gobies in the same tank - this super peaceful fish rarely gets along with another of its species.

I'm also partial to yellow tangs... though mine is a death dealer...

I'm partial to flame angels, so I'd pick a flame angel over coral beauty BUT coral beauty is more likely to eat algae than flame... but red wins over purple in my book... and full disclosure my flame is part of my death dealer squad...

here's a thought... mated pair of dwarf angels... or try finding male and female. It used to be only female flames came in.... now that I'm back in hobby it seems only male flames come in... but if your patient and have a LFS that can work with you, you may be lucky... and if you can get the female and male to mate up once you get them... that's worth some money! This store tracks down some of these fish, and occasionally may get mated pairs (but cheaper to get sexes individually). Ask for Lee:
yeah I do worry about some the the fish being jerks. gonna add them from peaceful to more aggressive. so tangs and dwarf angels last I think.

to be honest 200 is on the smaller side that I want for a FOWLR but I think it will be a nice tank.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to take the saddle back BF off the list s I feel they can get to big.

so Here is the updated list:

large angel
Regal angelfish- captive bread

Dwarf angels:
Flame
Coral Beauty
Bicolor

Large wrasse:
Harlequin Tusk

Large tang:
Blue/regal Tang

smaller tang
1 zerbasoma

Butterflies:
Copperband
Yellow Longnose
Pearlscale
Latticed
Sunset
Raccoon

there is also some concern about mixing the tusk with any smaller wrasses.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back