Critter ID on zoas

J.Orchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I received my first ever corals the other day. I dipped them in Coral RX and also hydrogen peroxide to remove some algae. I’ve been watching them constantly on a frag rack to make sure there’s no nasty critters or aiptasia before fixing them into the tank.
Today I’ve noticed these little things have suddenly appeared! Are they tiny feather dusters or tube worms? And will they take over my whole tank once I place them in?

Thanks,
Jo

IMG_3607.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a quick glance these look like either tiny feather dusters or aiptasia (can't see clearly enough). Is there a hard tube that they retract into when touched or gently squirted with water?

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids. Nothing to worry about. They disappear over time. Even I have some since the beginning of my tank after 3 years there still 2 or 4 left over on my rock work.
If you want to get ride of them micro dose this stuff.
Best part is I’ve seen Hydroids in my quarantine tanks and just a little bit of this and GONE!
image.jpg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess either Aiptasia (or another "pest" anemone) or hydroids (I struggle with differentiating the two when it looks like this). You probably don't want either.

OP
OP
J

J.Orchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a quick glance these look like either tiny feather dusters or aiptasia (can't see clearly enough). Is there a hard tube that they retract into when touched or gently squirted with water?
I’ve just squirted them with water and they instantly retracted into what looks like a hard tube.

OP
OP
J

J.Orchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a hard tube then it’s definitely vermitid snails, add a drop of super glue over the end of the tube or they will spread in your tank.
Oh ok! I didn’t think vermitid snails had a flower shaped head but I could be wrong will probably glue them shut anyway just to be safe. Thank you.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen vermetids with that kind of fan-shaped soft tissue (but that doesn't mean some similar species doesn't exist).
Not sure which tube worms have hard shells like that (if any) but the hydroid-looking "fans" are cool.
I'd be interested in what experts say before I discarded them, personally,,, but I guess better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
J

J.Orchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen vermetids with that kind of fan-shaped soft tissue (but that doesn't mean some similar species doesn't exist).
Not sure which tube worms have hard shells like that (if any) but the hydroid-looking "fans" are cool.
I'd be interested in what experts say before I discarded them, personally,,, but I guess better safe than sorry.

That’s exactly what I thought. I will feel bad for killing them if they’re just harmless filter feeders.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a hard tube then it’s definitely vermitid snails, add a drop of super glue over the end of the tube or they will spread in your tank.
Feather dusters produce a semi-hard tube over time. Refer to this post and let us know if the "critter" more closely resembles a feather duster. If a feather duster, they're harmless - so I'd just leave them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I thought. I will feel bad for killing them if they’re just harmless filter feeders.
These might be feather dusters but more likely they are colonial hydroids, which you DO NOT want in your tank!! I wouldn't risk it - try to move the coral to a new rock/plug or chisel off the part(s) of the rock containing the hydroids.
Definitely not aiptasia and definitely not vermetids.

OP
OP
J

J.Orchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning I took a super close look and saw lots of other little tubes forming and thought they must be hydroids. The tubes looked hard but when touched, they were very bendy.
I decided the best thing to do was to scrape off as much as I could and then covered all areas around the zoas with reef glue.

Thank you all so much for helping me with this. I love this community ❤️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back