Critter ID

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers

Went on vacation and came back to finding a few stuff i cant ID.. Already made another post about the other which turns out its aiptasia and now im trying to ID this critter.. its something I've always noticed on the duncan but it started very small and i never saw anything move.. Today i noticed its alot bigger and there's a long tube sticking up behind the duncan... Anything helps! Thank you!

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20221219_221207.jpg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Definitely a vermetid snail. The green stuff just looks like green slime algae.

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, it looks like a very large vermetid snail to me.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the green stuff growing at the base of that coral is?
Vermitid that big?? Wooah, i got a couple but they're extremely small barely visible but they have not grown at all.. Should i leave it or attempt to remove it? Doesn't seem to bother the coral as it continues to grow extra heads..

The green stuff is just some green algae

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a vermetid snail. The green stuff just looks like green slime algae.
Im dumbfounded on how big it is, didn't think they get so big.. Any suggestions on any action i should take towards it?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermitid that big?? Wooah, i got a couple but they're extremely small barely visible but they have not grown at all.. Should i leave it or attempt to remove it? Doesn't seem to bother the coral as it continues to grow extra heads..

The green stuff is just some green algae
Yeah, the largest vermetid species, Ceraesignum maximum, on average hits 10 cm in length (but it has a max known size of 45 cm).

If it's not bothering anything and you don't mind it, then what you do with it is up to you - you could leave it and just monitor the tank to make sure it doesn't spread too much (I haven't heard of spreading being an issue with the larger species, but it's possible it could be), or you could remove it.

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the largest vermetid species, Ceraesignum maximum, on average hits 10 cm in length (but it has a max known size of 45 cm).

If it's not bothering anything and you don't mind it, then what you do with it is up to you - you could leave it and just monitor the tank to make sure it doesn't spread too much (I haven't heard of spreading being an issue with the larger species, but it's possible it could be), or you could remove it.
I haven't noticed its bothering anything but its gotten pretty big and i think its too close to my duncan.. I don't feel too comfortable with it there especially if there's a chance it gets bigger.. Would capping it off spike my parameters? Got a 75 gal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I snap them off at the base with pliers but you can also place a dab of gel superglue from dollar store over their opening and starve them
Bumble bee snails eat them if you have many

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I snap them off at the base with pliers but you can also place a dab of gel superglue from dollar store over their opening and starve them
I've only seen three vermetids in my display tank. I have one bumblebee snail, I just pick it up and put it on them if I notice one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've only seen three vermetids in my display tank. I have one bumblebee snail, I just pick it up and put it on them if I notice one.
I personally would break them off at base and then you Know theyre Gone

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some today, if i see it doesn't interest them I'll just cut it off or super glue the opening.. Thank you!

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 8 today and put half of them on the big one and the rest near the small ones.. They haven't moved so I'll check back with them at dark..

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, breaking the shell while it's still in the tank will likely result in the actual snail surviving and building a new tube.
And depending on what it's growing on, if the end of the tube is blocked (by super glue), the snail can burrow out through the coral skeleton, etc...

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, breaking the shell while it's still in the tank will likely result in the actual snail surviving and building a new tube.
And depending on what it's growing on, if the end of the tube is blocked (by super glue), the snail can burrow out through the coral skeleton, etc...
Hoping the bumblebees go to town on it.. If nothing by the end of the week I'll have to remove the frag and remove the entire VS.. Thank you for your input, makes alot of sense since its so close to the duncan.. Hopefully its an easy removal, duncan has been my fave and oldest coral

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back