Crocea clam attachment

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm posting again about the 3" Crocea clam I got from Clam Mania over a month ago. The clam looks great with good mantle extension and incurrent siphon is a narrow slit. But the clam has not attempted to attach or move or even shift position. I see no evidence that this clam has a foot. I have this guy pretty high on the rock work and nestled into a depression... but could still easily be knocked down by my urchin or hermits. I was really hoping this guy would start to partially burrow in and become a part of the reef.. but is it forever going to be perched precariously up there??

Is there any way I can verify if it still has a foot? I've read that they can 'fall off' or damaged when removed after it's attached... or even during shipment. When I flip it over, all I see is an area of translucent/whitish tissue and nothing that that obviously looks like a foot.

Any suggestions?

I get no responses from Clam Mania on this issue.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve heard from clam mania and others online is that the foot itself retracts, not falls off, they send out fibers in a gel like substance to adhere to a surface. The fibers are ok to be cut as they can grow new ones. Not sure why yours is not attaching, maybe it already has? My maxima attached in less than two hours once I got it into a stable spot it seems to like.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve heard from clam mania and others online is that the foot itself retracts, not falls off, they send out fibers in a gel like substance to adhere to a surface. The fibers are ok to be cut as they can grow new ones. Not sure why yours is not attaching, maybe it already has? My maxima attached in less than two hours once I got it into a stable spot it seems to like.
Yeah mine hasn't attached for sure. I just repositioned it this morning. Everything I've read says that if they aren't happy, they move. But this one doesn't move at all. Yet... it looks beautiful.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small squamosa that’s the same. Healthy as can be, growing new white mantle…has never attached to anything.

Its become a game every morning to come see where on the sand it is

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small squamosa that’s the same. Healthy as can be, growing new white mantle…has never attached to anything.

Its become a game every morning to come see where on the sand it is
haha.... yeah I've heard this from other people as well. If Crocea didn't require so much light, at this point I would prefer just to put it in the sand.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back