Cross Country Move

greenbean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving from Florida back to Colorado in June, and I have a 20-gallon saltwater aquarium. I have made this move before with my fish, but it was not planned out great. I am going to be in a U-Haul, which have no backseat and I will have another person driving with me, so I will only have the middle seat to put my fish. What container would be best? I am going to make the drive in one day as I will be alternating driving with another person. I planned on getting a dark colored bucket to reduce stress and drill two holes on the top of the bucket, one for the heater, and one for an air pump. In the bucket would be my fish and then I would get a cooler for my coral and alternate the heater if needed. Any better ideas?

Last edited:

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try some of the retailers in FLA that are online shippers see if they have something you could buy that they use for shipping? If not you want something with locking lid and strong as water moves and sloshes.
Get an aquatainer (water jug) make up some salt water and have it handy for emergencies
Bring a water jug of ro/di too
What will you do for the stops? Too cold to leave things in trucks overnight without heat packs and insulation I assume.

That would be my thoughts off the top of my head.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do a 5G bucket. The ones the salt mix comes in are best as they have that rubber seal if you have any of those laying around or can get an old one off someone in your local club. If you go with Home Depot buckets with lids that will leak water You can put empty water bottles between the water surface of the bucket and the lid to eliminate water sloshing and leaking. If it is more than one fish I would also superglue a few pieces of pvc tube to the bottom of the bucket to give the fish places to get away from each other.

OP
OP
greenbean04

greenbean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try some of the retailers in FLA that are online shippers see if they have something you could buy that they use for shipping? If not you want something with locking lid and strong as water moves and sloshes.
Get an aquatainer (water jug) make up some salt water and have it handy for emergencies
What will you do for the stops? Too cold to leave things in trucks overnight without heat packs and insulation I assume.

That would be my thoughts off the top

That would be my thoughts off the top of my head.
I will definitely ask my LFS if they have anything, but if not, I will do a bucket. I plan on bring my water jugs filled with salt and RO/DI water along with a jug or two of my tank water. I won't be making any stops other than for gas and food, as me and another person will take turns driving. Thank you for your input :)!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plan sounds fine. Keeping air, heat, and ammonia down is key. I would take some Prime with you too. Just in case it is needed. Maybe do a 50% water change at astop or two to keep water fresh. Also, do not feed for 48 hours before trip unless delicate fish.

OP
OP
greenbean04

greenbean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do a 5G bucket. The ones the salt mix comes in are best as they have that rubber seal if you have any of those laying around or can get an old one off someone in your local club. If you go with Home Depot buckets with lids that will leak water You can put empty water bottles between the water surface of the bucket and the lid to eliminate water sloshing and leaking. If it is more than one fish I would also superglue a few pieces of pvc tube to the bottom of the bucket to give the fish places to get away from each other.
Great idea about putting empty water bottles on top and gluing some pvc fittings! I will definitely be getting the heavy-duty lids for sure. Thank you!

OP
OP
greenbean04

greenbean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plan sounds fine. Keeping air, heat, and ammonia down is key. I would take some Prime with you too. Just in case it is needed. Maybe do a 50% water change at astop or two to keep water fresh. Also, do not feed for 48 hours before trip unless delicate fish.
Okay thank you! Once I get my tank up and running again am I okay to feed my fish? Or should I wait another day for everything to settle?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed. Let them settle a couple hours to chill and then feed them some good mysis or brine. Something really good to get them eating again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back