Cross oads

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, been awhile. Hope all are well. Now, I am so close to putting the hobby on hold. Between new career path taking away time from the hobby and the issues I've been having with my current reef aquarium due to having close to no time for real reef care. I am at a crossroads. I'm super exhausted everyday, no set schedule and im sent all over the place at work. I am so close to shutting it down but fighting myself to keep it running. Red Cyno, some hair algae and some bubble algae appeared. Need some help for real.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, been awhile. Hope all are well. Now, I am so close to putting the hobby on hold. Between new career path taking away time from the hobby and the issues I've been having with my current reef aquarium due to having close to no time for real reef care. I am at a crossroads. I'm super exhausted everyday, no set schedule and im sent all over the place at work. I am so close to shutting it down but fighting myself to keep it running. Red Cyno, some hair algae and some bubble algae appeared. Need some help for real.
Ah i feel for ya! Without knowing your parameters it's a bit hard to say, but sounds like the algae's are competing and taking up those nutrients in the tank. My guess is that you'll test and most will be in range or low numbers. When you find some time, try to kick up the flow a bit, get that water column turning over well. Maybe lessen the white lights in your tank as well. Lots of other things you can do, but easy enough to do these, then see how it does over the next week while at work. If you can post more stats, and your CUC as well, that would be helpful to others that want to help. Good luck.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - this doesnt help you with your problems, but I thought I would say this. There's alot of places that will come do the boring maintenence for you. I am sure it will cost alot, but if you still want to keep the tank, it will help alot.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please a pic of your tank under white light intensity

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah i feel for ya! Without knowing your parameters it's a bit hard to say, but sounds like the algae's are competing and taking up those nutrients in the tank. My guess is that you'll test and most will be in range or low numbers. When you find some time, try to kick up the flow a bit, get that water column turning over well. Maybe lessen the white lights in your tank as well. Lots of other things you can do, but easy enough to do these, then see how it does over the next week while at work. If you can post more stats, and your CUC as well, that would be helpful to others that want to help. Good luck.
Calcium: 430-450ppm (API Kit), Alk: 9.5-10 (Hanna Checker), Phosphate: 0.0 (Hanna Checker), Nitrate: 5-8ppm (Hanna Checker), Magnesium: 1365-1400(Salifert)
I had 8 nassarius snails down to 3 (Crabs ate it), 1 conch now no conch (Crabs ate it), 1 Halloween Crab, 1 Blue legged hermit crab, Scarlett Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Fire red Shrimp. I had a Goby but my 6 line wrasse killed it. Had 6 Trochus nails now 3 left (Crabs ate them)

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its totally up to you of course. but i've been there too. and sometimes you just need to cut some things out and give yourself a break. if it is exhausting to even think about taking care of it, then youre not enjoying it. maybe step back and take a break for awhile. you can always give it a go again when you feel ready:slightly-smiling-face: sometimes we just have too much going on and its not good for anybody!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back