Start of Cyno and some other algae?

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Trying to figure out my next course of action. The past 1-2 weeks I've started to see a rapid growth of what appears to be Cyno and a certain type of algae which I'm unable to confirm exactly what kind, still new to all this.

I'm currently doing a 72 blackout to see if that helps, which ends tomorrow but not looking promising. Do any of you have recommendations on which course of action to take?

I just did my 20% water change on Sunday and tested parameters.

Salinity 1.026
pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 3.8
Nitrite 1? I'm still have a hard time reading Salifert chart
Alk 6.9
Running my tank at 77°f

Just kinda at a crossroads on where to go from here, hoping to get some knowledge insight.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2026005282.mp4
    26.2 MB
OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be the tiniest bit of cyano. Also the tank appears to be very young. The blackout isn't nessacary. That also just appears to be regular green alge.
It is, about two months. So should I just grab a small CUC for the green algae? And see if the Cyno goes away on its own?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no pic or video so can't see. But blackouts don't work, the algae always comes 100%. New aquariums are usually fighting different kinds of algae for the first year. At 2 months, the tank has very little biodiversity to fight off algae, and its very normal to be fighting algae at this stage.

No need to measure ammonia or nitrite. What is the phosphate level? To fight off algae you will need to know, so you need a good phosphate test kit like hanna. Alk at 6.9 seems low to me.

I would just maintain the tank.... weekly water changes, toothbrush the algae during water changes, aggressive skimming, ensure there is enough flow in the tank. If you have no corals, you can dim the lights or cut the light duration. There is lots you can do to make it hard for the algae to flourish.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no pic or video so can't see. But blackouts don't work, the algae always comes 100%. New aquariums are usually fighting different kinds of algae for the first year. At 2 months, the tank has very little biodiversity to fight off algae, and its very normal to be fighting algae at this stage.

No need to measure ammonia or nitrite. What is the phosphate level? To fight off algae you will need to know, so you need a good phosphate test kit like hanna. Alk at 6.9 seems low to me.

I would just maintain the tank.... weekly water changes, toothbrush the algae during water changes, aggressive skimming, ensure there is enough flow in the tank. If you have no corals, you can dim the lights or cut the light duration. There is lots you can do to make it hard for the algae to flourish.
Thanks for the advice, here's a YouTube link of the video since the one I attached doesn't seem to show.

I actually just ordered a Hanna tester yesterday for my phosphate so I will test it when it comes in.

I have a 20g AIO IM, I currently only have the single nozzles for my pump, which I replaced the stock pump with a Sicce, I've been debating on putting on both of the dual nozzle pump heads.

I will try what you suggested and see how it goes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back