Algae woes

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g that is 2 years old this week. I have labored successfully over that time to achieve a what was a very stable system through diligence and automation. For the past year up until about 2 months ago, the tank was thriving - algae-wise, just a thin film every few days to scrape off the glass, largely white sand, lots of coralline. I have had small pockets of bubble algae, but emerald crabs keep it in check. Once every 6-9 mos I'd get some cyano or bryopsis that I'd effectively treat with chemi-clean or flux. Otherwise, coral growing like crazy, happy fish.

However, about 2 months ago, something started to shift as I started getting some turfy brown algae, and over the course of a few weeks it turned into fuzzy stuff over every bit of exposed rock and the back wall. It doesn't scrub easily with a tooth brush.

My nutrients fluctuate a bit but have not gotten particularly high. In fact, by most threads here, they're fairly low. I've actually reduced my auto-feeder over the past month by ~2/3. I have a GFO+Carbon reactor that I used to run for 1-2hrs a day to polish and keep PO4 in the .03-.1 range. Lately I've had to crank duration up quite a bit to keep the PO4 down. I can't imagine the source since literally nothing is going into the tank except for 1/3 of the food I used to feed.

All I can imagine is that my biome was effectively consuming / processing what nutrients were going in and now it is not because it can't be an input problem.

In fire fighting mode, over the past few weeks I added a sea hare which is supposed to eat hair algae like crazy and it died after about a week without eating much and I added a lawnmower blenny and he is starving too - so whatever it is - it's not appetizing the the usual algae eaters. It grows like hair algae when left unchecked but the base also feels pretty turfy / like a golf green and as I mentioned, it doesn't scrub easily with a toothbrush. A couple of snails I added ate a bit of it here and there so some are willing to consume.

Right now I'm just trying to really lower my PO4 without bottoming out and things have slowed down and hoping it allows whatever mechanisms were keeping things in check to reestablish but would love any other thoughts.

Here are my nutrients over the past year...

1703516867274.png

1703516964340.png

And some pics (algae is hard to photograph!)

IMG_5278.JPG
IMG_5271.JPG
IMG_5270.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5268.JPG
IMG_5262.JPG
IMG_5275.JPG

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like possible bryopsis? Sounds like a real pain to get under control if it is. Did you happen to add any rock or several corals still on plugs 3 months or so ago?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This algae problem is stemming from unstable phosphate that continues to bottom out or become very low. If you elevate it, and keep it consistently at .08-0.1 or so…you’ll see the algae will eventually fade out and not come back as the tank continues to mature. You just need a strong CUC and manually remove what you can. It’s all about phosphate and the ratio with NO3. Many will disagree, but my rocks are spotless so it’s working for me.

IMG_1596.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the difference between good ratio and PO4 level and low inconsistent levels.

IMG_1848.jpeg

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like possible bryopsis? Sounds like a real pain to get under control if it is. Did you happen to add any rock or several corals still on plugs 3 months or so ago?
No new additions, but I have bryopsis show up about every 6-9 months, but usually quite slowly. I run a course of fluoxetine and it takes care of it for another 6-9 months. I haven't added any coral in the past few months. My tank is pretty darn full.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the difference between good ratio and PO4 level and low inconsistent levels.

IMG_1848.jpeg
My tank used to look pretty much like that. I suspect there is much more to the story than simply the PO4 level. Mine has been pretty stable except it rose some around the time this all started (for no particular reason) and since then I've tried to get it back to consistently at the levels it was at before by fine tuning my reactor run time after each weekly test. Sometimes I overshot, but I doubt my tank truly bottomed out as the algae kept growing. Also, although this chart looks a little erratic, it's over a pretty small scale, and the more erratic bits didn't come until I tried to get it more under control - it was an effect more than a cause.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 106 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back