CRS 180 gallon build

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in November I finally decided I wanted to try a salt/reef tank after years of having large fresh tanks and fresh water stingrays. I was going to just do a small 40-80 gallon setup. (everyone who knows me, knows I do nothin small). Somehow that turned into a 180 gallon tank I came across used. Followed by a new trigger cr44 sump. At that point I decided let's do it right and make it look nice. I custom build the stand and stain matched it to the stand on my 300 gal fresh tank. I then got three xr30 lights. An H180 fuse light, 57w uv sterilizer, tunze ato, reef octopus regal skimmer, and then decided I'd buy marco rocks and build my own NSA (negative space aquascape). Somewhere in the coming weeks, I decided using the brute trash cans didn't look clean or easy. So I bought two 65 gallon tanks and built a mixing station to go along with my 7 stage RODI setup with booster pump.

Last night I wrapped up the plumbing with a 4 valve manifold. I'll attach photos as things progress more but we're almost done.

20231126_223508.jpg 20231130_235020.jpg 20231202_144137.jpg 20231202_222708.jpg 20231202_222723.jpg 20231207_185745.jpg 20231218_172352.jpg 20231220_234956.jpg 20231221_231756.jpg 20231221_181314.jpg 20231228_195857.jpg 20231229_214622.jpg 20231229_225558.jpg 20231229_231939.jpg 20231229_233032.jpg

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you qorried about the weoght of the plumbing and water in it causing the bulkheads to not seal properly or putting extra strain on them?

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you qorried about the weoght of the plumbing and water in it causing the bulkheads to not seal properly or putting extra strain on them?
Nah, I will add strapping in specific spots to support it. I just dont have any of the plastic gray on hand, and didn't want to use galvanized (purly for cosmetic). If it needs disassembled the will be able to slide right out still, and at worse have to remove less then a hand full of screws on one side of a strap.

The manifold itself is the heaviest part that I will secure well. Also why I put a union in the middle of it also so it's 2 pieces. I know for this application people love unions. From a professional standpoint I hate them, as it's just another mechanical failure point in general.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've seen mutiple people say build thread. And some members have a badge for it. Is there somewhere else I have to post something specific for a "build thread"?
@Peace River
So it's been a while, so I can't remember where. You will get your answer though. If peace river is off line tonight, he should give you guidance tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peace River
So it's been a while, so I can't remember where. You will get your answer though. If peace river is off line tonight, he should give you guidance tomorrow.
Awesome thanks! Will see when When you said "can't wait for the build thread" I thought to myself. I thought this was my build thread lol so maybe just me being new here and confused.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Contractor_Chris - It looks like you are off to a great start! There is a place for members to keep a journal of their tanks in what we commonly refer to as the build thread section. You can select what category best describes your tank in order to make it easier to find for others. Build threads work great as a place to keep track of the changes in your own tank journey, keep up with what others are doing in their build threads, look for inspiration, and find commonality. You are correct that this thread is kind of the start of your own build thread. If you would like, I can move this to the build thread section if you let me know which sub-section you would prefer it to be located. Additionally, once a build thread is started there is a space in your profile for the link to the build thread (which is connected to your build thread banner).

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Contractor_Chris - It looks like you are off to a great start! There is a place for members to keep a journal of their tanks in what we commonly refer to as the build thread section. You can select what category best describes your tank in order to make it easier to find for others. Build threads work great as a place to keep track of the changes in your own tank journey, keep up with what others are doing in their build threads, look for inspiration, and find commonality. You are correct that this thread is kind of the start of your own build thread. If you would like, I can move this to the build thread section if you let me know which sub-section you would prefer it to be located. Additionally, once a build thread is started there is a space in your profile for the link to the build thread (which is connected to your build thread banner).
Thank you,

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peace River thank you. I thought i saw that section before, but no luck finding it when i made this post (new here, and can't lie it's been many years since i've been an active member on any forums. I feel social media groups are to blame for that). But yes if you'd like to move it for me. I believe the large tank 180-399 gal section is appropriate for it. I can then go in and share more photos and videos with some more detail about how I got to this point. Thanks again!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Peace River thank you. I thought i saw that section before, but no luck finding it when i made this post (new here, and can't lie it's been many years since i've been an active member on any forums. I feel social media groups are to blame for that). But yes if you'd like to move it for me. I believe the large tank 180-399 gal section is appropriate for it. I can then go in and share more photos and videos with some more detail about how I got to this point. Thanks again!
You're welcome! I moved the thread, fixed the title, and added the banner!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back