Crud build up

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've to accept that there is nothing on god's green earth I can do to stand in the way of the algae, I've tried all the tricks but instead I just have to constantly hand trim or scrape it out. I'm sure I'm not the only one and I keep seeing photos of gorgeous reef tanks that I'm convinced you guys just photo shop. My question is how often do you guys blow off the build up from your Zoa colonies,GSP's things like that. My issue is that I take them out a peroxide them(they love it) but because that has been my solution they can get established and really spread. When I do try to glue them the algae starts taking over and it's impossible to remove it all while it's still in the tank. Please any suggestions would be great. Also until I can remove the mistake called an anemone will they kill them or just cause them to close up till the coast is clear?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R first of all.
As for your algae issue, most often, it is caused by lighting as a direct result of photosynthesis, by elevated organic and inorganic nutrients in your tank and water flow issues.
Minimizing these contributing factors has been and will continue to be an ongoing issue that plagues many aquarists in the marine as well as the freshwater hobby.
Continually scraping glass, hand removing algae from rock and corals or using other methods to eradicate it to incorporating any one or more of the plethora of medications, dips, dyes or magic is the norm.
Frequent water changes, increasing water flow especially to hard to get areas/dead spots, reduced feeding, balance in lighting duration and kelvin(K) or thermodynamic temperature and efficient filtration are the keys to keeping algae under wrap.

OP
OP
R

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R first of all.
As for your algae issue, most often, it is caused by lighting as a direct result of photosynthesis, by elevated organic and inorganic nutrients in your tank and water flow issues.
Minimizing these contributing factors has been and will continue to be an ongoing issue that plagues many aquarists in the marine as well as the freshwater hobby.
Continually scraping glass, hand removing algae from rock and corals or using other methods to eradicate it to incorporating any one or more of the plethora of medications, dips, dyes or magic is the norm.
Frequent water changes, increasing water flow especially to hard to get areas/dead spots, reduced feeding, balance in lighting duration and kelvin(K) or thermodynamic temperature and efficient filtration are the keys to keeping algae under wrap.
Thanks, I have actually reduced the time of my lighting and I almost eliminated the white light completely. I do have bad temp swings this time of year because I don't have a chiller and instead I have to keep an ac unit in that room but, It only kinda works. I feed a small amount of pellets once a day but I think i should switch to frozen brine but barley any natural sunlight gets into that room. I just recently built a new stand so that I can put a sump under it and as far as flow yea I think I aquascaped poorly for flow.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running a fan across the top of your tank to aid in keeping your water from getting too warm. It works! You just have to top off your tank more so due to evaporation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back