Crud growing in salt mixing/storage container

Buckeye Ken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning to do a water change this morning and noticed some crud on the bottom and sides of my Brute mixing/storage container. It also had a somewhat funky smell when I removed the lid. I've noticed the smell before but the growth, or whatever it is, is something new. The mixed saltwater has been in the container for a few weeks. I keep it covered, I don't heat it, and I don't have a powerhead running in it. Photos are attached. Is this a concern? I don't want to introduce something into my DT that will cause problems.

DSCN2927.JPG DSCN2928.JPG

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have better luck if it has a power head in it. Even a small one just passivly stirring up the bottom. However, I usually use the saltwater a few days after it has been mixed to avoid this all together

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what that is. I wouldn’t be too concerned. But always good to keep a power head in there to keep it oxygenated and not stagnant.

I keep 100g of mixed SW at all times. I have a power head on a timer to mix a few minutes every hour. Been using this setup for years. Never any growth.

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my brute. I also have the obnoxious smell. I re-cleaned with bleach and then vinegar. It comes back. I filter the water thru a filter sock as it enters the tank after the water change
I use a power head and heater and still get this crud

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Ken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my brute. I also have the obnoxious smell. I re-cleaned with bleach and then vinegar. It comes back. I filter the water thru a filter sock as it enters the tank after the water change
I use a power head and heater and still get this crud
I'm curious, do you start with well water, or city water?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 50 gallon brutes on casters for my AWC. When my current reservoir is about empty, I mix up a new batch. A batch lasts for about 4 weeks with no heat or circulation. When it's empty, I swap them out, wipe out the old reservoir and fill it with RO/DI for the next swap out. I get almost no residue and no bad odor. Plus, I always have R/O on hand for emergencies. Works for me.

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that with Instant Ocean - a brown precipitate. I take about a quarter to half a cup of muriatic acid dissolved in about a liter of RODI and rinse out the brute trash can with it. I also use a brush (long handle) to wipe the sides. A mild scrub helps clean it. I rinse the thing out a couple of times afterward with RODI (but that is probably just being OCD).

Randy-Holmes Farley, the reef chemistry guru, gets the same crud. He does not seem to bother with cleaning his trash can. I saw a photo of it and the crud buildup was impressive. But I am not going to gain say him. I have a high regard for his expertise. I mention it because letting it build up does not seem to matter.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Ken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure, but I think what I'm seeing is some kind of growth, but maybe it's a precipitate. Regardless, thanks for your replies. It's given me some things to think about and try.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back