Kalk Mixing/Storage Question

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello question since I see varying answers online. Is it okay to mix the Kalk in a dosing container let it settle and not mix it again until I refill the dosing container?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello question since I see varying answers online. Is it okay to mix the Kalk in a dosing container let it settle and not mix it again until I refill the dosing container?

Yes. Just keep it covered and preferably unstirred.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay to dose in the return pump area of the sump? or any recommendations?

Dosing right in front of a pump can lead to more deposits on that sump. The slower you add it, the less likely that is a concern, but allowing it to mix in before hitting something important is desirable.

OP
OP
dbroncos

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing right in front of a pump can lead to more deposits on that sump. The slower you add it, the less likely that is a concern, but allowing it to mix in before hitting something important is desirable.
I may dose right were the water goes into the sump - the overflow

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may dose right were the water goes into the sump - the overflow

That too is potentially not optimal as the pipes may clog. ACI reported that problem from too much hydroxide in such a setting, though they used a different hydroxide source that may have been too concentrated.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used it with a traditional sump I put it in just before the last baffle going to the bubble trap. I also put a small power head to increase mixing. Still got a little white crust on the glass of that baffle.

benner33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller tank (Waterbox 60.2) and dose mine into the area where the return lines land pretty much. I have a tube that hovers above the water and drops in small amounts just before the filter sock area (where the current is pretty rapid). That’s also where I have one of the two pH probes in my system (I have a Hydros iV external that houses the other). I know the probe near the drips will likely die faster but I had it there to prevent over dosing. I also don’t use it with my ATO it’s on a separate dosing pump.

benner33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh one more thing though I use a Avast Kalk reactor due to space constraints I can’t have a large bucket of Kalk so I use that and two ATO containers (one for Kalk at night and one for my normal ATO)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would you recommend?

Depends on the system. A high flow area away from corals is my usual description, but right into a pump is also not ideal. I dosed it into the skimmer return froth in my 44 gallon brute can sump:

When limewater drips onto surfaces, such as the sides of a sump, precipitation of calcium carbonate takes place. The off-white coloration probably comes from metals such as iron binding to the calcium carbonate surface in the place of calcium.

1711398606816.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back