Crushed Limestone....yay or nay....

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have read a few people that have used crushed limestone as a substrate in reef tanks. My concern is that it is limestone so wouldnt that alter nutrient levels? Has anyone ever heard of this or does anyone have it in there tank? It is non silica based due to it being limestone and has a white color. Is this too good to be true? Tell me what you think. Any and all information is good.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see an issue with it chemistry wise. Nutrient wise, my only concern would be that if it too coarse then it may trap detritus and could cause elevated N03 and PO4 over time. Also you may see more algae growth on the substrate due to it being to large to turn over naturally.

I have also heard of people using crushed oyster shell that is sold as a poultry feed supplement for substrate due to its color and low cost.

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see an issue with it chemistry wise. Nutrient wise, my only concern would be that if it too coarse then it may trap detritus and could cause elevated N03 and PO4 over time. Also you may see more algae growth on the substrate due to it being to large to turn over naturally.

I have also heard of people using crushed oyster shell that is sold as a poultry feed supplement for substrate due to its color and low cost.
Thanks for the response its same constistency as play sand just no silicates since it is limestone. I have also read that it is fine enough for sifters but not too fine to be blown around? Just trying to think of alternatives to buying for a larger system crushed limestone is also way cheaper to to get a deep sand bed in a larger system. Anyone else have a possible opinion on this.

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it being limestone from also reading it wouldnt have silicates so could potentially help with algae as well? Or would that be wrong?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will be safe although I refrain from it use myself

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be safe although I refrain from it use myself
Is there a reason why you refrain from it just wondering? It does contain calcium carbonate could this be why? It is used in really fine form for calcium supplement in some cases as well as used in certain types of feed.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there a reason why you refrain from it just wondering? It does contain calcium carbonate could this be why? It is used in really fine form for calcium supplement in some cases as well as used in certain types of feed.
Because I use a calcium reactor and also try to go natural with as little compounds as possible

OP
OP
N1tew0lf1212

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I use a calcium reactor and also try to go natural with as little compounds as possible
I guess maybe i am confused it wouldnt be used as a supplement compound but as a substrate. Or because of the calcium carbonate would it not work with the calcium reactor?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I guess maybe i am confused it wouldnt be used as a supplement compound but as a substrate. Or because of the calcium carbonate would it not work with the calcium reactor?
Calcium carbonate is already in your mixed water and maintained in the tank. Adding more carbonate will reduce calcium, magnesium, and then your alk which then affects your Ph.

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play sand will take forever to settle if ever. I have always used Carib sea sand but regret it so bad now. I cant even see in my tank now. Corals seem to be ok and liking it. Reason is i have this ****** orange shoulder tang that just rips the tank apart. Just a giant 24 hour sand storm. I have two choices, remove the sand or kill the tang. I will never use sand again

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 57 27.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back