Limestone as aquarium sand?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to purchase some limestone from home hardware to use as sand. I currently have a fine a layer of aragonite fine/coarse mix, and I’d think limestone would perform the same job(both CaCO3). The consensus I have seen is that this stuff is fine to use as sand and aragonite sand is overpriced, but I’ve never tried myself.

Have anyone had experience with this kind of sand and in addition, has anyone had experience with this brand? The Pavestone brand that I have heard positive reports about is inaccessible in my location, and I am unfamiliar with gardening and any potential additives they put in this stuff. Don’t want extra nitrogen in my tank.

Link to the product:

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... just spend the money and get the proper reef-safe sand.
It’s unacceptably expensive. Purchasing enough sand to form an anoxic layer in my tank with the standard aragonite sand may be more expensive than all planned livestock combined. I need an alternative.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limestone works fine and has been used for decades in the hobby (Randy has a number of posts about limestone you can look at as well) - so, barring any major contaminants in the limestone you buy, it should be fine:
To my knowledge it works fine scientifically and shouldn't mess up any parameters (though I'd cure it for awhile just to be safe). However, as mentioned, the texture and grain size are important.

Some related threads (limestone rocks and pulverized limestone in aquaria):
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-kind-of-sand-do-you-use.638606/ (post 7 of this one is the relevant comment)

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although, if anyone knows a brand of pure limestone sand that is available here in Canada that would be nice too. The products are very different here from the states.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thus the query regarding experience with this particular brand. I suppose I’ll do an acid solution test and test the parameters of a small amount of water with small samples.
Dude, it's Home Hardware. Just saying... (best of luck in any event)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect limestone sand is fine, but it's not identical to aragonite and these would be the most significant differences (IMO):

1. The surface texture may be rough and not rounded like a lot of aragonite, which might possibly irritate some sand dwelling organisms.

2. It will not dissolve as readily down inside it when pH drops (which is not necessarily a problem, just a difference).

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it right and save yourself some potential trouble. I looked at Amazon Canada and they have all the Caribsea stuff. 20 pounds of CaribSea 8479009203 ACS000920 Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand for Aquarium, 20-Pound is C$59.26 along with a variety of other stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back