What kind of sand do you use?

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a good looking sand but there are so many brands out there. Not sure if I should go fine or coarse, but the depth is prob 2-3in. I might keep some sand sifters too. I'll purchase from Amazon since I have prime.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. If you have Caribsea special grade could you give me the specific one? Like the pink color or white?
Screenshot_20190809-201138.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of all 3 of these
Tropical Eden
Miniflakes - 2.0mm

Mesoflakes - 2.7mm

Reefflakes - 3.0mm

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used everything from crushed limestone (my first tank in 1985 or so) to crushed coral, to sugar fine arragonite (got blown around a lot but loved the look) to the special grade I am now using. It is a great in-between that is small enough for the sand sifters and burrowers yet large enough to not get moved around so much by the huge amount of flow in my SPS dominant reef.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run multiple kinds also. Coolest looking black Hawaiian, worst in my tanks, black Hawaiian. Stuff is magnetic, bad for mp power heads and glass cleaning magnets. No leaching as of 9 month mark.

My favorite in the aragonite bimini pink with the larger pieces mixed in.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone from very fine oolite in my first nano tank to mixed reef grade/crushed coral in my 75 to all crushed coral in the last one I set up. I have also gone from 3 inches to just enough to cover the bottom.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest using some form of aragonite. It is calcium chloride and like reef rock, it is derived from coral.

The main issue is how fine you want it to be. Mine blew around some. But I added a coarser grade of sand to the problem spots. The coarse stuff stabilized the system.

Also your fish will affect your decision. Burrowing fish like jawfish like to burrow in rubble. Other fish that burrow will like a coarse grade. Of coarse, you can provide patches of this stuff and hope that they set up shop where you want them.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fine grain sand now and will not use it again. It blows around too much and I don’t feel like I can get the nutrient transport I want due to the fact I can’t turn my blowers up high without causing mountains of sand to pop up

Johnnybananas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji pink is where it’s at! But I have used dry sand as well never had any issues with either one

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back